Any suggestions?

C

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I graduated in 2008 with a 1st class BSc degree. Since then I have been working but not really using my degree as such and decided that I need to push myself again. I'm happiest when I've got something to focus on and I'm kept busy. I am considering doing a PhD but not sure if this is the right route for me, mainly after reading the horror stories on here!!! I'm 24, single and dont have much confidence in myself. I do tend to get drawn into my work, as I'm determined to succeed in what ever I do. Doing a PhD would mean moving away from home, so it would be like a total fresh start, I would have to build new relationships and I would have to work on my time management so that I didnt spend all my time on the PhD ie- still have a life. Is this too difficult to do? ie- is it possible to treat it like a full time job but still work on having a happy life outwith the PhD? Dont get me wrong, I'm willing to put in the work, but guess i jst need the reassurance that i wont become deeply depressed, alone and away from home. Any help would be cgreatly appreciated. Thanks:-)

A

Hello. I have only started my PhD 3 months ago, but here goes. I decided I needed to start a PhD to give myself a push. After my undergrad degree I started working full time whilst following an MSc by research part time. Once I got to the end of my MSc I decided I needed to do the Phd, just because I was sure that my job (or most other jobs...even though related to my studies) would not stretch me as much. Horror stories are inevitable...however do read the positive thread there was on a couple of months back.

I am also 24 and had to move away from home (4hours direct flight or so). I am not single, but have a boyfriend back home... sometimes I think being single is better, because you do not get to miss another person as much. I think determination and loving your project is key. And this is me talking who has just had a good cry this morning...but overall I am still determined to get my PhD...I am getting to be more independent in my thoughts and decisive in what I want to do. I think as with everything there will be ups and downs...but in the downs people will be willing to help.

Good luck in your search

S

Have you lived away from home before? If not then that is your biggest hurdle. I moved away from home when I was 18 for uni (I'm now 26) and I loved being away. The difference is that I made friends quickly as I was a fresher surrounded by loads of others in the same boat. I've moved city for my PhD (after working in the same place as uni for a few years) and it's much harder (though obviously not impossible) to make good friends.

Assuming you want to do the PhD for good reasons (see one of the other thread on this board about reasons to do a PhD) then it is merely the move of city that will be a problem. I have been treating mine like a job (like many others on the board have) and try to work 9-5 Monday to Friday and will stay late/come in early as necessary. So far I've avoided working on the weekends. In this respect, a PhD is very similar to a job with flexible hours, the main difference being that your work time is pretty much spent on your own.

To sum up:

- It's not "too difficult" to get the right work-life balance, but it is sometimes tricky if you don't manage your time correctly
- Most of your work time is spent working on your own
- So long as you keep up "extra curricular activities"; sport, language class or anything else that lets you meet people, you should make friends, but it is more tricky than when you're in first year of uni.
- Most of this (all apart from the second point) is true for ANY job if you move city.

A

Hi there

Oh Dear, I guess it's the nature of people that means we tend to 'forget' about good experiences and zoom in on the bad. I get solice from reading various posts here about people in similar situations to my own and am relieved that I am not the only one going through the agony and [very] occasional ectassy of the PhD process. All of the posts are not bad, some are funny, many very helpful. I am only a recent member though a long time lurker!

In brief it is of course possible to project manage your PhD efficiently as long as you retain perspective and realise that things don't always go to plan. That said, in general, your hours are your own and so if you work better at 3a.m., go for it! While I work away at all sorts of hours due to family committments, I know plenty of people who treat it very strictly as a job and only work from 9-5.

It is different from undergrad and Masters in that at the end of the day it is really up to you. Top marks at undergraduate and masters level do not necessarily a top PhD fellow make:( My advice is this: ease into it gradually but yet don't let that first year slip away - contradictary I know but many people feel if they are not writing, writing, writing, or experimenting (think this is what science-type people do!!!) they are doing nothing. Reading into your subject is as important as anything else.

Good luck with your decision

A

C

Hi,
Thanks for your replys. I sort of lived away from home when I was at uni (was in a flat in town, but uni was just an hour away!) so I was still close to friends/family etc. IF I got PhD it would mean moving 6 hours away from home. I did enjoy my degree, but I have to admitt I was constantly thinking about it, and resulted in having poor people skills and this is something I would want to ovecome: gain more social skills and become comfortable in my own skin. I think if I had structure, and someone telling me that it would all be ok and was on the right track, things would be more manageable! I guess all uni's will operate differently though. It would be a total learning curve for me (ie- country bumkin hits the town!) and unsure if there would be support around.
aaaarrrgghhh.... its such a big decision to make! I dont 'know' anyone else who has done a PhD before so unsure if its the right thing for me, im a practically minded person, but finding i need pushed more at the moment.... not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew tho!!