Any tips for better motivation?

G

Born in the area. Its a cheap place to live (I have a Edwardian 3 bed semi - Lounge, dining room, large kitchen, 2 doubles and a single that would still only cost to buy today about £150K) and when I played golf was handy for Manchester Airport. Just at the moment it suits myself and Mrs. Golfpro.

B

I can understand that Smilodon, the illuminations are great fun for kids. What I like about the town is its relaxed attitude towards life in general. I imagine it would be very annoying to run a business there - but it's a great place to unwind.

M

I just found the article I was reading about the new '20 unis'. I thought I'd share as some of you may be interested in the new locations: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article3471191.ece

Notably, for the NW of England, Bolton, Burnley, Oldham and Everton are also set to get universities. I imagine they will be affiliated to bigger universities though. Maybe Blackpool will link up with Lancaster or UCLan, and Everton probably to John Moores.

B

Thanks for the link missspacey, that's really interesting, (if surprising), information.

J

Hey Golfpro, never knew you lived in Blackpool. I lived in Fleetwood till I was 22 so know the place well. Used to go to Jenks every weekend.

Course, telling people you're from Fleetwood means endless assumptions about how many kids you must have had by the age of 15.

I think the Fylde does have a problem with lack of aspirations for young people. No university, no industry, very little in the way of museums/art galleries. There doesn't seem to be much to look forward to, which I think is part of the reason for the high teenage pregnancy rate.

B

I totally agree with juno about the lack of culture. It's the one thing I miss when I'm over there. But I've heard people say (in Blackpool at least) that culture/arts isn't something the type of tourists who visit are interested in. Personally, I don't think everything should revolve around tourism... there are definite improvements needed to benefit locals.

J

Yes, I agree: the town may depend on tourism, but there need to be facilities for people that live there too. And I think even the tourism is fading: it's now cheaper to fly to Spain than it is to get the train to Blackpool, so the town could do with finding another source of income.

G

Strangely, I know that gentleman who's (literally) just bought Jenks nightclub. He thinks Blackpool is going to experience a renaissance ( I suppose he would spending £270K on the lease). I think he's going to be sadly disappointed.

J

So Jenks is still going? I hadn't been for 10 years or so. That's a hell of a price he's just spent: good luck to him.

I was in town only last weekend: my father took me to Cleveleys to see the shipwreck.

G

Yes its moved around a bit (Jenks). It's now on Topping Street. I think he'll need the luck. His other job is as a college Lecturer.

T

I really hope this gentleman is not a lecturer at the local college (to be relocated with possibility of clearing out) least he faces a double edged sword! I certainly agree with you on the lecturers in FE. Most of them have been it since heavens knows when- the quality of their teaching is sometimes divorced from present day realities esp. in subjects demanding a global perspective . Apart from that the quality of students makes it much harder as they are mostly school drop outs or young ones who have to get paid to come in which I think is absolutely ridiculous. To be honest, I really don’t like teaching in FE (I do P/T hours) but I need the money... altogether I feel like a sell out academically because the FE system defies everything that academia stands for.