Anybody else aiming to submit by December?

M

I'm aiming to sumit my PhD thesis by the end of December - or rather, I HAVE to submit by the end of December... Are any of you in the same boat? Do you fancy a thread cheering each other on?

I sitll have a fair amount of work to do, including writing up the discussion. Argh.

I am planning to submit a draft of the thesis to my supervisors by early November, which leaves about a month. It should be possible, but every now and then I am beginning to panic.

P

Hi Moonblue

I will be happy to cheer you on ! I'm submitting in April and at the moment my word count is almost 60K. I had planned to work hard everyday to get close to my uni's 80K word limit (for Humanities students) but at the moment I think I will just settle to refining and reworking my thesis until my SV's satisfied with it. I haven't done my footnotes yet, which is important in my line of study so I'm not trying to get so obsessed about word limit.

Here's hoping you will be able to finish before December ends !

A

Hey Moonblue. Submitting mid december too. Writing findings at the moment. Mutual cheering up welcome! What's your area of research?

M

Hi Peppa! My problem with word counts is that I always tend to be far over and then have to cut lots of words ... The maximum for mine is 100000 and I'm getting very close to it.

I got some good work done on the discussion yesterday - almost a 1000 words in and I think I know where I'm going!

M

Hi Alonso, I've just finished my three findings chapters (I'm using a multi method approach so there are several smaller studies), now I just need to try and make sense of it all!

My area of research is sort of health research / psychology, it's very multidisciplinary. What about you?

A

It's a shame we don't get an email when we get a reply to a post (could not find anything in settings)

Consumer behaviour, although it's within a business school, it's more to do with psychology/sociology than business, although I cannot deny that business is at the core. Totally qualitative (30 interviews and about the same number of participant observation)

M

Mine is also a mixture of psycholog and sociology, and mostly qualitative. I've got hardly anything done today, too much else going on! Must do some work this evening...

A

Hope you had a productive evening. I had a relatively productive day at the cafe where I manage to get most work done...

I go through moments where Im really psyched to get work done and others I just panic thinking of horror stories of not making the mark etc. I've a final extension and it is definitive, so I do panic every now and then feeling that I am way behind

M

Well, I've done it! I've submitted the thesis in time, a few days early in fact. I know it's not perfect, but hopefully it'll do. Now I just need to write a few papers and wait for the viva. :) Oh, and find a job...

R

Well done, Moonblue! That's a sterling effort! Congratulations and best of luck with viva, publications and job search!

I

Quote From Moonblue:
Well, I've done it! I've submitted the thesis in time, a few days early in fact. I know it's not perfect, but hopefully it'll do. Now I just need to write a few papers and wait for the viva. :) Oh, and find a job...

Congrats and good luck! If I were you I'd relax for a few days before worrying about other things :).