Anybody else pregnant??!!

B

That's the big fear, isn't it. If you take time out, you're stuck. But *are* there part-time postdocs? Or do you just have to work full time from then on. (I'm doing my PhD part time, which is great). I spoke to a leading (male) academic at a function a while ago, and he suggested applying for JRFs in preference to standard post-docs, as the terms could be more flexible. Many PhD funding bodies seem to be getting good at coping with pregnant students -- but what happens next? Any pregnant/mums of young children out there as postdocs??

O

Tell me that there are positions out there after you had some time of for bringing up your kids! Please!
I am already at the point of dropping out of my PhD because I think I will not manage with a baby and the attitude here - "24 hour days are just not enough, when I was young and did my PhD we never stopped working" (my supervisor). How do you do it when you have to go to a conference or field work?

L

There are definately women out there who have had a baby during PhD and go on to have a good career. There is someone in my department who did that. Someone pointed out to me though that all the successful women were divorced and they think that as a women you have your relationship, career, children, and your health and it's not possible to have all 4 things, one has to give! I'm not sure if this is true and would like to think you can have it all but I would rather have a bit of a less successful career than compromise on anything else.

D

Interesting thoughts. I have 5 kids already and planned my last pregnancy to coincide with finishing MA/ starting PhD with an EDD of 6th Sept...perfect we thought until we found it was twins. As it happens I didnt get the funding that time round for phd (I am convinced it was coz of being pregnant. After 4 month home with the bubs I was ready to get back out there and got my funding. I am delaying anymore children until after PhD now but do not see any issues with combining it all. Age also does not worry me too much, I will be late thirties when I finish so looking at 40ish pregnancy. As long as you plan to the extreme and time manage well you can have it all. x

D

forgot to add....I try to keep my professional persona and my 'mummy' one quite separate. I do not talk kids at work they know me as a phd student and that is how I want it to stay. Although the other day a pic of the twins fell out of my book and my sup saw it and said they were beautiful and she admired how I managed all my responsibilities...oh and there is never a right time to have kids so don't wait for it to arrive

S

oz, i suspect it isn't easy. but then, what is easy in life?

on the other hand, i know there is funding available in some countries specifically for women who's careers have been difficult due to childcare-duties. in switzerland, you can get enough money that way to get a decent postdoc-project going, maybe even to complete it; after that, you're back in.

in order to 'have it all', i suspect you need to be either very rich or have an exceptional social network (stay-at-home partner, friends&family who babysit on short notice and do the laundry while they're at it, ...)

D

Shani...really you can have it all. I'm not rich, no stay at home husband (full time worker), no family to babysit (in fact my dads 90 and needs looking after himself) nothing that would make it easy to juggle teens,toddlers and study. You just have to be super organised and motivated to make it work...Ladies you can do it you don't have to choose...promise...its not easy but its not impossible.....

L

dazednconfused I'm so impressed that you've got 5 kids and doing a phd and also planning another one! Do you do your phd part time? I struggle with my phd with no kids!

D

hi little miss...no I'm a full timer!! Life is hectic and its full but I have never felt so fulfilled in my life. I am a very positive person and think you can achieve and overcome anything if you really want it. I am going to provide for my family and give them the best I can...well except one of them will be half way through their degree when I finish so will be well on her way to providing for herself! I am also blessed with an amazing husband who is selfless and supports everything I do...I shall do the same for him once I'm finished the phd, he is going back to academia to do psychotherapy then...my kids are amazing too and very proud of their mum...life is good

C

Hi,
Do any of you know what sort of maternity benefits or other benefits we are entitled too. I have had my last research grant payment now and will (hopefully) be finished by the time my little one arrives but I need some money coming in from the end of October until I can start work.
My husband works 24 hours so it looks like I can't get much but they can't expect us to live on that?!

L

Sorry I don't know anything about maternity pay but this website might help you in terms of what benefits you are entitled to:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/index.htm

O

Hi Caroline, I assume that you will be classed as unemployed during that time? In that case you get something like £112 per week plus child benefits. Furthermore you get tax benefits and you might get other benefits e.g. for council tax and housing. This seems to be dependent on the overall houshold income.
It is not an awful lot therefore we started saving now and try to buy as much things now so they do not pile up in the end. Car seats are soooo expensive.
dazednconfused, I am full of admiration - I hope this pack of energy you and pinkneuron seem to have gets delivered with birth!!!!

D

Oz, Having kids made me a much more assertive and organised person...having twins multiplied that by ten!! Theres nothing I can't do now...I intend to take life in the teeth and shake it till it lays down and submits!!! If I am looking for a solution to a problem and a solution doesnt appear then I work on the theory that I am asking the wrong question. I may have to slightly adjust my expectations and plans but if its meant to be then the answers and the means will appear. Sometimes if there are no answers whatsoever then I go on faith that its just not meant to be and I put the energy into something else. Once you appreciate there is no such thing as a wrong decision just different outcomes then you are freed from your psychological doubts....it really works

O

*big eyes*
sounds like our old dog - if the ball does not surrender it just tried to get a better grip but on the more serious side: thanks for the tip, I give it a try perhaps this is actually the answer to everything (this might sound strange but after contemplating your answer for ages now I think you gave me a real push with it!)
Cheers

B

I'm not pregnant, but Mrs barnaby is - number 3! Anything is possible with a bit (okay, a lot) of organisation and a good level of understanding and support between him and her.

Mrs B is taking a year out from a 4 year degree (major career change after a few years in high level business management) and I am going part time in order to do a PhD.

We had money for years, and now we don't, but we are both finally doing what we really want to do.

Having said that, I don't actually start until September, and baby3 hasn't arrived yet. And I'm in a good mood today. I'll be back in a couple of months saying it can't be done. What was I thinking?