Anyone else awaiting viva???

B

Just wondered ... is anyone else awaiting their viva? If so, how are you killing your time? I've found myself going out and buying lots of clothes just to keep myself occupied!

P

Yes, I am... I'm working full time though and have been since August 2006...

I submitted last Thursday and am actually more nervous and stressed than before... (I think it's the control freak part in me). My supervisor has told me he's sure it will be fine.. however I keep having dreams of the external saying 'It's crap.. you've failed' and saying 'You've plagurised' (I have been so careful to reference everything.. or so I think)...

Sorry, not the most helpful of messages.. but hey, look on the bright side.. you could be working full time

C

I submitted at the end of September, and still waiting even for a date.
I've been working for several weeks in a temp job as a receptionist whilst searching for a permament job.

C

What sort of timescales does anyone have? I submitted Sep, and it will be at least mid Jan before my viva.

P

I'm hoping mid Jan... but it technically doesn't matter when it is as nothing changes afterwards (apart from my mental state being more stable).

I dreamt last night that I was re-reading my thesis and the lyrics from a kids song had somehow managed to get included in my abstract and I woke up in a cold sweat thinking 'Oh God.. ' My 2nd supervisor said this is normal... I'm not so sure :-S

You nervous? Do you think about your thesis most days or are you pretty calm and collected about the whole thing?

F

hihi! I am also waiting for my viva at the moment! I just submitted my thesis last Thursday. After the inital excitement, I am feeling restless now. Have you found a job yet? I am applying a few and waiting for the answers. =( sigh...life is endless worry!

C

"I'm hoping mid Jan... but it technically doesn't matter when it is as nothing changes afterwards (apart from my mental state being more stable)."
lol me too.
I wish it was all over. I pretend most of the time it is. I have a very low paid job as receptionist at the moment which is depressing. My choice of job is limited geographically by my partner so holding out for my first proper job in industry.

B

I like the buying clothes idea. I vote you go out shopping with friends and try to find the most inappropriate outfit possible for a Viva. Don't buy it, just amuse yourself looking for it ...

L

I just got my viva date. Its 4th December - less than 2 weeks away! (I submitted on 1st October). I guess its good that it will be over and done with, but bit miffed that I didn't get more notice.

L

Oh - and i'm working full time too, so preparation time is a bit lacking cause of that too!

C

Good luck. My interview suit is my viva outfit so no shopping for me I guess!

C

My external can't make 23rd Jan which moves it further away to 31 Jan. I 'm bitterly disappointed it is now at the 4 month after submission date and all I want to do is finish and move on. I'm not sure if it is worth pushing for the 2nd choice examiner as I never imagined it would go past December, 31st Jan is nearly February.