Anyone else married to a non-academic type?

F

Hello, I'm considereing applying for a Phd. Am in my second year of a part time masters, while working full time. My other half is not the academic type and I'm feeling very guilty about the prospect of him working his tail off for three years in a nasty job while I swan about the library and watch films all day (I'm a film postgrad if you hadn't guessed) Anyone else in a similar position? How do you cope? Any advice would be warmly appreciated!

S

What a fantastic PhD topic. You'll be the next Barry Norman....and why not!

F

Thank you for replying! Mine is also very supportive,and we too are looking forward to reaping the rewards. I promised him I would do this, but now it's round the corner, the reality of 3 years watching him go to work to a job that he's not happy doing is pulling me to bits. It's good to know we're not alone though :), so thanks for the message FFx

H

I'm going to marry a non-academic next year who is moving 200 miles to be with me until I finish the phd, hes very supportive too

S

I think as long as you pre-warn them about the writing up part. You'll be incredibly grouchy, hardly around and very stressed. Just tell them its a phase you will come out of so please bear with it!

F

Congratulations on your engagement, H, hope it all goes well for you. I dragged my partner half way accross the world so I could do this and I think he's hoping to retire early (to concentrate on being an artist)once I'm done and we go home. Might be a little optimistic on his part, and he'll have to get over his allergy to housework first. I just hope I don't muck it all up by failing miserably, but that's another thread... Thanks again for the supportive messages. xxx