anyone else writing up with deadline looming?

C

Anyone nearly finished? I have four months to write five chapters - is that possible do you think? Have been doing temp work since my funding ran out and it has left no time for writing so now Im really behind and feel a bit detached from the work - finding it hard to get back in. Have just quit the job as have saved enough to try and get it done..
anyone got any advice for structuring introductions - i find it really difficult to not just repeat everything from my lit review..

Also would you concentrate on writing up or would you push it and try to get some papers out as well? (My uni doesnt allow you to write up as papers).. How important do you think it is to have papers out before your viva?
Am feeling overwhelmed by how much there is left to do and not sure it is possible - anyone got any motivational stories of people who wrote up in a month or anything?!!!

J

UFO wrote up in three months i think. am also writing up, trying to write a chapter each month, but my supervisor is so thorough that each chapter ends up taking about three months! i don't want to think how long revising the final draft will take.

you'll be fine. just start writing. divide it into small bits to get you going.

B

Four months to write five chapters is quite ambitious (... although some people - who are usually academic 'freaks' can do it). I think a good pace to work at is 6 weeks (writing) for a regular chapter (i.e. not intro or conclusion which can usually be done quicker).

Just focus on completing your PhD (that was the point when you first started this 'journey' after all) ... papers will come after and you aren't expected to have these before the viva.

S

I agree with BB - focus on completing and don't worry about papers at this stage.

K

I agree - papers will come later. Just focus on finishing. How long is each chapter? Break each chapter down so that you're writing regularly and have short-term, e.g. weekly, goals as to how much you want to get completed

P

Basically i think it can be done, if you want to. it's hard working & writing i know but sometimes it can be an advantage as it makes one more disciplined with time. good luck - you can do it!

S

Hey there, 5 months for 4 chapters is fine (hard work but fine)... trust me! I still have 3 chapters to write in 10 weeks, in addition to editing time... though that's crazy admittedly. Just keep focussed on what needs to go into each chapter and don't get distracted off the topic - I made that mistake with my first chapter which ended up taking 9 months! (Fantastic chapter but did way too much!). Write yourself smaller targets. Chapter 1 by end of first month, Chapter 2 by end of 2nd month etc. then break it down further week by week. Tick them off as you go along. Even if you don't make the targets, it helps. Personally, I'd forget writing papers for now - unless you know you're organised enough to do both (which I certainly wasn't). It helps at the viva but it isn't essential (she says hopefully!!!). Good luck

S

As to introductions - don't worry too much about repetition - make each chapter a nice little story, and include enough to make it complete. I generally look at papers and how they structure their introductions to give me an idea of how I'd like to structure mine. Though I find it's the hardest part of a chapter to write, and by no means any good at it! Obviously, you don't need to go into as much detail as you would in the lit review introduction chapter - but no harm in picking out little key points.

C

thanks all - has all made me feel better - am very good at just despairing if i think it is hopeless anyway.. and then I get nothing done at all. Have set some strict and hopeful targets!

C

Motivational stories...
My Head of department apparently wrote up in 6 weeks because he got money for reaching the deadline.