any success stories on here??

J

oh dear, what were the comments?

J

need to deepen my analysis.

J

what did your super say?

B

Not to fear Jojo, bazzab is here! I failed my transfer a week ago. To make things worse, the issues I had to resolve were agreed upon in the viva but my supervisor is now asking me to start from scratch almost!!!! I dont know what to do. Take the points raised in viva on board or listen to my supervisor?

F

Sorry to hear that Jojo, I think I would make an appt to discuss comments with yuor supervisor and decide what steps you can take to deepen your analysis etc.

Do you have a helpful/supportive supervisor?

Bazzab, sorry to hear that you are having difficulties also. Was your supervisor at the viva also? If so he/she must know what the points were so it would seem odd to change his/her mind about what needs changing. Hope you get it sorted.

B

Yes fluffymonster, supervisory was present. Not totally contradicting what was said in viva but not really taken advice which is what is concerning me.

J

the transfer was based on my former supervisor's report so my new supervisor seems to be surprised by the result. she reckoned that my work was fine til she saw the report.

my new supervisor is alright, she offered to talk about things. not sure am up for that yet. still getting over it.

J

thanks for your thoughts guys.

bazzab - i also have to start again. times like this i wonder why i enrolled in a PhD in the first place. had i known.......

B

Jojo. Having got over the initial sadness, I am now in a frame of mind where I am going to fight for this upgrade. I am going to take the advice of supervisors seriously, but now feel its time to make a stand and do what I want to do. I know why I failed upgrade, and Im damn sure going to put it right.

This is what you have to keep in mind. I see it as a 3 month period where I can really shine and show the difference in what was submitted firstly, to what I will submit.

J

me too.. just getting over it now. yesterday i was just numb.. today am ok.. getting over it.
well, in a way, am glad this happened, coz that means that for the remaining one and 3/4 year, i will be very serious about my work. i see it as a wake up call.
and like you, i will start to seriously take on board my supervisor's opinion. it is true that if your supervisor thinks your work is ok, then you'll get thro the viva. last year, my supervisors never had a clue about my area of research..and whilst i partly blame them for the situation i find myself in, i've decided to pick up my pieces and try to make things work with this new supervisor - she at least knows something about my research.. and she seems helpful.