Anyone found my thesis!!

D

I am in yet another limbo phase of waiting for a viva date still. So submitted the correct number of theses on 1st April and am not going to get a viva within 90 days. It seems that my internal examiner has not yet received my thesis although my sup got theirs within a few days of submission. Not sure where my thesis has gone currently, but clearly a viva date cannot be set until the examiners have seen the beastie! I hope the external has received his......?? My motivation has reached rock bottom and I haven't really done any work on it in over a week now I need to keep refreshing myself in the subject area for the viva but it is hard to do so. I am moving house (and relocating to south UK) in August so really don't want a viva then. I will try to call the admin office this week if they are not on hols. I mean, do I have to supply another copy of the thesis, and seriously, where has mine gone to? It is bad enough waiting around for an exam but this has just depressed me even more.

Anyone else had this problem or am I just the lucky one!?

If acceptable to your internal examiner, give him a copy yourself. Either PDF or print-out. Ask him if this is okay first though, asking if this would help.

D

I am at a distance from the uni now, but could provide a link to the PDF version for them to either use on screen or print at the uni printing department. Obviously, yes this may help proceed with a viva date. I am not wanting to pay for another bound copy as I have not lost this one lol. Technically I have not spoken to either examiner and cannot do so, this info about my thesis is what I have heard from the uni. I am not sure if I am supposed to know this level of detail........but seriously, this needs moving along abit now.

C

Hi Dunni. I really feel for you. I have a date for my viva, but this has been arranged between my sup, the internal and external examiners. So, further to your thread I sent an e-mail to registry with the excuse that I am going on holiday and will be unable to read e-mails, but really with the intention to enquire on whether they had sent my thesis. It's a week now and I didn't receive any reply. I don't want to bother them, as it is exam time, but what happened to yours made me very concerned. I really don't know what to do - ask again or think "no news, good news?!"

I think that nowadays they rely so much on temporary staff that it's really good luck if things get done as they should. As in your case administration has already admitted that they don't know what happened to your thesis, they should offer some advice on how to proceed further and quickly, at the very least.

You can certainly ask if sending an e-copy to your internal/ external may be acceptable, but I doubt that would speed the arrangement for the viva. I would ask administration to get it reprinted at their own expenses, as they clearly didn't take the necessary care.
:-s