anyone got any confidence tips

O

A few tips--from having been on the other side of the table, doing the hiring! ( in my pre PhD life). Eye contact--look at the interviewer(s). If there is more than one, be sure to look at all of them as you talk. Easy on the bling--no more than a few pieces of conservative jewelry ( a watch counts as a piece..) no open toed shoes!!!!! dress as if headed to a funeral, dark colours, conservative hem lengths, no plunging necklines, do not show bra straps or belly button! Take the interview seriously, and yet, as others have said, inject yourself into your answers. What makes you special and unique? What do you have to contribute? Do the old smile from the eyes trick--be sure your smile reaches all the way up and into your eyes so its genuine and not forced.

Be friendly, be honest, be assured, but not arrogant....

I spend some time telling myself I am wonderful before the interview :D and smile, smile, smile--it reduces nerves and anxiety.

As an interviewer, I think I could get a fair impression in the first few minutes how it was all going to go....so make that first impression strong and positive.

Read up about the employers. Know something about them, and be able to comment on how you fit with them and their mission. Know something ( if possible) about the interviewers. If they ask if you have any questions, yes, do have some. My stock ones are--do you see the mission changing over five years? or what does your ideal candidate offer? or--tell me about your professional development plan....let them sell YOU on the job for a few minutes. It makes you look not so desperate for a job--and remember--people are attracted to what is rare and hard to find ( why diamonds are popular) so acting as if you are going to assess them as well as them asses you may be helpful.

I never practice or rehearse...but that is just me. It works well for some. I have had tons of public speaking experience, and so have confidence ( hopefully not misplaced) that I do well when speaking persuasively to others.

Wear something comfortable but business like. Do not wear the skirt that does not let you breathe or the tights that fall to your ankles, or the shoes that make you wince. And above all--be yourself!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

O

sorry for double post ( I blame the dead pixels) :p

I also try to get myself in a really up frame of mind--by telling myself how nice a day it is, even its raining, how lovely the buildings are, just "loving" everything I see, so I am beaming and full of great energy when I go in the room. Just tell yourself you adore everything around you, you adore you, that you are wonderful ( I know this sounds silly but it works) ( smile again, it reduces nerves physiologically to smile!!!!0

If you are wearing your hair uber long, think of tying it back or up, to give it a more polished look.

How wonderfully exciting Sneaks! And what a great achievement at this stage of you career. I can't really add anything other than to say - the fact that you got this far means your are MAJOR! so just be excited about the whole event, that you are going to meet some people who you have tremendous respect for and that clearly respect you. Good luck XXX

C

I can remember going to one job interview thinking now what would Dame Judi Dench do ? ( M from James Bond films) Substitute your own revered other.

The advice on here has been spot on .. you deserve to be there, they want you as much as you want them, jobs may be scarce but good people are more so.

From what i've read in your previous posts - no brain transplant needed (up)

B

Quote From Chuff:

From what i've read in your previous posts - no brain transplant needed (up)

How lovely... and true! Sneaks, you have five PGF stars for God's sake! Surely there is no greater affirmation of your ability. Just remember your prestigious PGF rating and there is no need to be nervous at all ;-)

omg, I forgot about the 5 stars! I might as well rip up my CV and present them with this forum - the evidence of my true procrastination potential.