Anyone running SPSS with Windows 7?

My computer blew up, but 'the man' at pc world tells me apparently SPSS is not compatible with windows 7 - and they ONLY sell computers with Windows 7 and sell no copies of Vista.

i did ask about using Windows 7 in XP mode but he said that SPSS probably wouldn't work!???

Is anyone successfully using it?

I have SPSS 17.

======= Date Modified 04 Jun 2010 11:01:58 =======
Well I phoned SPSS and they said that SPSS 17 is NOT compatible with Windows 7 but SPSS/PASW 18 IS compatible with windows 7. But I've also seen people on t'internet, using windows 7 and SPSS 17 - so very confused!

THey did point me to a site called 'on the hub' that sells short term licences for students for SPSS though.

A

That's weird, why would it not be compatible?! I thought the whole point of windows was that it was compatible with everything...maybe not though. I've not got Windows 7, I'm really reluctant to get new versions when I don't have to, have you tried Dell online? They might sell something other than windows 7, otherwise you can get SPSS 18, surely your uni has a free copy for students? We can get it free for our work computers, but I always just load it onto my home computer as well :$

M

I'm using PASW/SPSS18 on Windows 7 and it works fine - not tried using an earlier version of SPSS with Windows 7 though.

My uni is refusing to move on from SPSS 17 :-( I have now been told that SPSS 17 may work on Windows 7 but it may mean that analyses aren't accurate - so that would be erm...not working properly then.

I've had to buy a new PC - although got a knock down price on an ex-display, and with straightened hair, nice smile and push up bra (up). So I'm either going to get 18 somehow, OR use my laptop AND PC to work which will be extremely annoying.

I think this is why my bro goes on about Macs being so great, because windows is rubbish when it comes with compatability - but my uni doesn't offer a Mac SPSS version and I have no money, so that's Macs out.

L

which version of spss do you have?
i have 15 on my windows 7 laptop and it has to be installed in compatability mode (XP) but it worked just fine! you lose all the cool feautres of windows 7 though :(

P

Windows 7 came out after SPSS 17 was released, so there was no way that SPSS could be engineered to be compatible. Windows 7 does certainly break some software just as Vista did, and Windows XP before that and Windows 2000 before that and Windows NT before that and ...

Whether or not 17 works well enough for you on W7 is an experimental process even though it isn't officially supported on that platform, but don't worry about the risk of wrong results. The computational aspects would not be affected by Windows 7. 32 vs 64 bit could be another issue.

Well I'm now running 18 on my shiny new windows 7. How? well I can't tell you that. BUT I do think Walminski should be given some extra stars ;-)