Anyone with two PhDs?

R

Is anyone here doing their second PhD, or know someone who has completed two (or more) PhDs?

I know they're out there, just interested to hear about it.

S

Good question... I've come across a number of people (or rather, names) that are Dr. Dr. Prof. Something. So I would assume they had two PhDs or do you think they earned the second Dr. as an honorary PhD?

K

I know people who have done a PhD then gone on to do a professional doctorate (IE clinical psychology), which was different - in the latter the thesis was nowhere near as long as a "standard" PhD, and they did work placements and attended classes.

Don't know anyone with/doing 2 traditional PhDs though... nor do I understand why one would. Just the one was bad enough!

P

Yep, I've heard of someone who had 2 PhDs, in totally different areas. She must have been mad! This PhD will probably kill me! I will probably go onto a professional doctorate after this PhD; although its ethos is different to a PhD.

G

There was some foreign guy who posted a while ago who wanted to do two concurrently. I suppose if you have the money [there was a chap at UCLan who had 5 degrees and 3 masters] anything is possible, but what would the point be. I can think of better hobbies to pass the time.

V

I knew someone a few years ago who had a PhD in nuclear physics (or something like that) and a second PhD in theology; agree that there are perhaps better hobbies out there.

J

i can understand the theology one, but why not do an MA? or a postdoc? i just never understand people who do two masters, two bscs etc. but soon i'll be joining the two masters club after my phd. probably take a masters in a completely different field.... for the fun of learning more about the field without the pressure of a thesis.

S

You'd never catch me doing another PhD! However, two batchelors or masters is another thing (I did two degrees) - I did what I thought I wanted to do at university, finished my degree, worked for 6 years in related jobs, and never really enjoyed it - so I did OU studies for a second degree in a completely different subject. Having said that, I don't think I could put myself through the agony of a second PhD! Nor do I want to sit another exam... think I'll stick with this subject... though training to be a yoga teacher would be nice Spend the day relaxing... mmmm. I could be a yoga on the beach teacher somewhere warm...

S

oh seabird, why don't you start right now, i'll come be your yoga on the beach student

J

I did the same thing SeaBird, I've got a BA and a BSc - got totally fed up with my first subject so after a few years did something completely different with the OU. I can understand people wanting to continue studying, I love learning things (does that make me sad??)and am waiting to hear the outcome of a PhD application.
Count me in for the beach yoga

P

Here is a guy with 2 PhDs. He is the current chair of a Ph D program at UMDNJ: Syed Haque, Ph.D., Ph.D.

Education
Michigan State University, MI
Ph.D. (Educational Technology) , 1980

Indian Agricultural Research Institute and University of Udaipur , India
Ph.D. (Communications Technology) , 1971

http://profiles.umdnj.edu/ext/ext_profile.cfm?RUID=haque&CFID=955957&CFTOKEN=86765202

I hope this answers your question.

======= Date Modified 05 Oct 2011 19:34:59 =======
I met someone a few weeks ago who has two PhDs. One in Linguistics and a second in Engineering... They said they re-trained because they were more interested in the second topic. This person had done both for professionall reasons and the changed and processes combined meant he hasn't really got his career off the ground at 50... and he seemed really bitter about the whole thing: hated the PhD process too. Crazy. I also think that doing a PhD is such a massive commitment - even if you get funding - that it really is necessary to be certain that you want to do it and that it will lead you to where you want to go. Doing a PhD by mistake seems to me a bit like climbing Everest in error - how could you not notice it was so tough and that you didn't like it?

I know someone, quite well, who has several MAs. At least two already and one in progress at the moment. They also have a PGCE. The first two Masters were for personal interest - he has a passion for a subject (and has written a book about it - with a novel in very slow progress). The current one is sponsored by his job and he's not really enjoying it - but feels he has to do it. I think he'd just carry on doing them if he had the money - as long as they address his interest.

P.s. count me in for the yoga too. I can see myself teaching yoga. Perhaps when I retire and do that fine art degree part-time; I'd like it to take me so long that I pop it before the finals.

T

My husband. :-) He did his PhD in Italy (he's Italian) and then a few years later won a scholarship to do a PhD at Oxford. So he did. Same discipline but different areas of studies and different theses!

D

yes, this person did Doctors degree in Japan (PhD equivalent) and currently doing PhD in Management in UK..

;)

I was interviewed for a qualitative study a few years ago by a man who was doing his 3rd (yes, I could hardly believe it!). He had two in History and was doing a sort of educational history study-hence his interviewing me as a teacher who was trying to implement curriculum change (dangerous stuff if you are a teacher!!:).

I also was taught by a history lecturer who took early retirement at a time of funding costs and then a few years later turned up at a very prestigious university doing another PhD and a colleague also embarked on a second one about 10 years after gaining the first in order to get funding for her project in retirement.

All three were retired so I think finding funding for key projects and staying in touch with a university was the main impetus behind their second and third goes. I am not sure though, why they took the road of a second (or third) doctorate rather than looking for grants and things? Maybe doctoral funding was more attainable?