Anyone working through Christmas?

H

Hi everyone,

i'll be working through Christmas as I still two 5000 word sections to go and a lot of analysis to get done.

it'd be nice to know am not the only one working in the world.

let me know if you are gonna be working during Christmas. are you working from home or a library?

hailey.

H

Hailey's aims for today: 1) read through 1 journal paper 2) integrate it into work. 3)split the rest of the chapter into small sections i can achieve in a day.

planned working times 1.30pm - 1am.

P

======= Date Modified 22 Dec 2011 14:27:57 =======
Hey- yes, I'm working through the Christmas break....working from home mostly as I can't risk the temperamental bus services into town.

Other than my 2 day support worker shifts on Friday and Saturday (in order to build up some client work experience) and supervising MSc students on Mondays, I'm mostly working on my post viva PhD thesis corrections.

I'm not working on Christmas day (and hopefully not on my birthday!), but I'll be squeezing in either 8-13hr days or 4-5hr days depending on other commitments.

1.30pm-1am?!?! yikes!!

You're not the only one working, trust me!

I'm updating my literature review chapters and working on reducing some large contextual/background sections in my literature review chapters. Just made myself a cup of very strong coffee to see me through today.

Yet more false summits today- still lots to do and lots of papers to read. Will need to draw the line at some point though! I cannot go over the 100,000 word limit!!

Onwards and upwards! :)

H

so glad to hear that am not the only one working! yes! 1.30pm to 1.30am. sounds scary but.. one hour in, its not that bad. lol. maybe too early to say. lol.

"I'm updating my literature review chapters and working on reducing some large contextual/background sections in my literature review chapters. Just made myself a cup of very strong coffee to see me through today."

exactly what i will be doing for the next 10 days. except that the doctor doesn't allow me coffee. so am driving on sheer will power. but hey when you got no option, you will get the work done!

thanks for letting me know your schedule - so much time off. lucky you!!!!

its amazing how one can say so much in their contextual chapter. mine is 30,000 words. got to cut it down to 15000!

so much for this gift of the gab! not always very helpful

but thats after i finish these two 5000 word pieces.

wishing you a lot of productivity in your work today! :)

sigh.. back to it.

all the best in your revisions. you're one strong person! you inspire me.

D

Hi,

definitely not alone... I will be working the whole festive period too... I have a lot of work to do, and the tickets to go back home are bloody expensive, so here I am in my tiny little room working from the crack of the dawn.

Hooray!

P

======= Date Modified 22 Dec 2011 16:39:52 =======

Quote From hailey:

its amazing how one can say so much in their contextual chapter. mine is 30,000 words. got to cut it down to 15000!
wishing you a lot of productivity in your work today! :)
all the best in your revisions. you're one strong person! you inspire me.

Hi Hailey,

Many thanks for your lovely message. :-)

I'm taking a break till 5pm now....

I need to reduce my thesis to an absolute max of 100,000 words which mostly involves cutting out or rewording my literature review chapters which contain the extra bulk.

So, I completely appreciate the sometimes heartbreaking and soul destroying journey of reducing chapters down! My word count is definitely coming down though after some crafty rewording, relocation of extra context stuff to as an appendix or pure deleting stuff which is just extra detail. For example, I managed to write approximately 10,000 words on historical stuff alone surrounding my population groups, but most of it will have to go as it's just not that relevant to my research questions. I'm going to move most of it to an appendix and summarise the key themes in my literature review chapters. Never thought for one second I would find historical stuff so interesting! However, all in all, I think (or rather hope!) I'm making significant progress after putting in some serious hours into this thesis.

I'm deliberately not checking my word counts for my two literature review chapters until I've integrated all of my examiners corrections into my literature review chapters :)  I'm also aiming for around 15,000 as an absolute max (if not around 10,000-12,000 for each literature review chapter).

Other corrections involve integrating new studies absent from my submitted draft, which involves replicating my literature review searches, adding new studies and developing tables of studies similar to systematic review papers.

Struggling a bit today though! The above never seems to end!!
:-(

P

======= Date Modified 29 Dec 2011 14:30:49 =======
Bump, Anyone working over new years? I am back at it again today and I am working from home. I hope you are going to meet your 5th of Jan deadline Hailey!

Dan

P

Hey,

How is everyone getting on?

I had to take a few days away from my PhD thesis corrections and trying to get back into the swing of things. I experienced some strong chest pains just before Christmas so I was ordered by my doctor to take a break from my thesis and try and reduce my stress levels. Feel a little better after lots of sleep, but now have to get back to it....

I'm trying to get back into my thesis, but I'm really struggling!

Best of luck to everyone submitting soon!

P

Quote From Pineapple29:

I experienced some strong chest pains just before Christmas so I was ordered by my doctor to take a break from my thesis and try and reduce my stress levels. Feel a little better after lots of sleep, but now have to get back to it....

I'm trying to get back into my thesis, but I'm really struggling!

Hi Pineapple,

I know how that feels. I worked too long on the computer without moving and the next day I couldnt move my neck without very sharp pain running down my spine. I went to the doctor and they said dont work on the thesis for 2 weeks and rest. I felt really good after a bit of rest but struggled to get back into it after that. It took me another week before I could work again.

Anyway, make sure you take it easy. Chest pain sounds serious. How far away are you from submitting?