Appendices - what's the best way to manage/reference them?

H

Hi,

I have many documents that need to go in the Appendices.

I'm wondering, how do you label them and reference them in Word?

I've seen some people do it alphabetically (Appendix A,B,C,D), whilst others reference them by chapter, so Chapter 6 would have Appendix 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 etc. Only problem is that if an additional chapter is added in at the end, it'd mess up the system. Other people just add each chapter's appendices into one Appendix. What's the best way to do it?

Also, is there any way to add Appendices that would automatically update (like how table and figures do)?

Thanks!

T

I only had 4 appendices and I labelled them A, B, C, D. I gave the figures and tables in each appendix caption titles so that they automatically updated if that's what you mean?

H

Quote From TreeofLife:
I only had 4 appendices and I labelled them A, B, C, D. I gave the figures and tables in each appendix caption titles so that they automatically updated if that's what you mean?

Thanks, so when you referenced to them in the text, did you say Appendix B, Table 4? Or just Appendix B? And was Appendix B in the text hyperlinked to Appendix B?

I

Your university may have specific regulations about things like this. I know that mine requires appendices to be lettered. So, check your specific university regs before making a decision o ryou could end up with a lot of reformatting/changes at the end.

A

I hope they do (have regulations as IntoTheSpiral says) as mine didn't and the supervisors were massively vague! In my MSc I simply used this in the text:
"... RCA matrix (Appendix 6)."
The 'Appendix 6' part was hypertext, the appendix would then be titled 'Appendix 6 - RCA Matrix'. Helped when having to update every link.

I became a Word expert by the end of my MSc.

T

I just said Appendix B, and as I only had a few and I knew they weren't going to change I didn't hyperlink to them within the text, but if there were many then I would have referred to and hyperlinked to them as Table B.1 when I needed to, rather than saying Appendix B, Table B.1. This was what I did for the other chapters as well when I was referring to tables within different chapters.

H

thanks everyone! I've just had a look at the guidelines and there is a word limit on the appendices!!! I have quite a few documents, I'm going to have to trim down!