Application form question

M

I'm currently applying for a PhD in Neuroscience, and have found a rather ambiguous question. After asking about my general details, and my educational history, there is a question asking for "Other Interests and Skills". There are other questions which ask for details of my research interests and experience, and techniques which I have used, so I'm baffled as to what this means.

The only thing I can think of is that they're asking about "non-academic" (outside) interests, but I've never seen this on an application form, and would be surprised if this is what they actually want.

Any advice?

U

i guess they're after other interests you have that support your application. eg.:

1. like chess tournaments
2. like reading books by Freud
3. like dissecting monkey's brains
4. good at leading teams as shown by my xyz activity

etc.

A

HI Matthew82

Just to let you know that our studentship will be advertised on FindaPhD shortly (next couple of weeks hopefully) if you're interested in a pharmacology/toxicology type project...

Ann

M

Hi! I've recently completed a similar form (molecular biol PhD)- was successful so must have done something right! In my case they wanted to know about relevant skills outside academia which could be useful to me as a researcher. I do a lot of climbing which involves careful planning and attention to detail, both of which I feel are useful in scientific research when you are designing and carrying out experiments, so I put that on the form. At my interview they used this as the 'ice breaker ' question before they moved onto the more serious stuffm so I think that's why the question is on your form- it's so they have something you are familiar with to talk to you about to put you at ease. So may ve a good idea to remember what you wrote when you go for your interview! Good luck, by the way.

M

Hi Ann,

I may well be interested - keep me posted!! Any more details by the way? I'm aware that the answer to that might be "no" though...

M

Hi Ann,

I may well be interested - keep me posted!! Any more details by the way? I'm aware that the answer to that might be "no" though...