Apply to Cambridge MPhil?

G

I have a distinction in a communication studies MA as well as a BA and am keen to pursue an academic career. I am thinking of applying to Cambridge to do an MPhil in Sociology as I think my future research interests are broader than only studying media. The MPhil is ten months and would give me some time to focus my research interests in a stimulating environment, and the course length is also sympathetic in terms of a career break should I later decide academia is not for me after all. There are also good prospects within the programme to progress to a PhD. However, I feel slightly shy applying to Cambridge coming from not the most linear achievement background, and worry that I may perhaps come across in my application as merely desiring the University’s name on my CV. I guess I’m seeking some positive encouragement here, though I'm also searching to see if there is any stern advice suggesting it would perhaps be better to wait until I have a PhD proposal before re-applying to University. All comments welcome and appreciated. Many thanks.