Applying for funding for an international conference

L

Hi guys,

I am trying to write a short paragraph on the rationale of why my department should give me money to fund my trip. I am 3rd year PhD student and have zero experience with writing such things. My superviosr is being pretty unhelpful. What should I write? I assume I have to explain how the trip would benefit my PhD and my department. Anything I think of sounds really lame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P

I think to some degree it is stating the obvious, i.e. exactly how it benefits your PhD (your research fits the scope of the conference), networking opportunities, as you are in your third year - how it will provide input to your thesis maybe, if there is some benefit to the department, do mention it.. maybe the poster/talk you give includes input from other researchers from your department, i.e. you represent them..., how the conference will widen your horizon/learn new things/get up to date with latest findings etc. hope that helps.

R

Hi lostinoz,

.....but stress the importance for your department, what benefits will they have from it (representation at the conference, making sure the department is present, provide them an international flair, the opportunity for key researchers to hear about your department and its projects, money well spent, good value for money etc.)

I think it is all about win -win: the department must get the impression that is is worth sending you and you must assure that you are able to attend.:-)

D

Saying that you'll present a poster or do a talk usually does the trick as you are representing and promoting the dept so it's worth their while sending you there. Dept funding is usually alot easier to get than external funding as long as you mention that you are promoting them. And of course showcasing your work and making contacts that'll benefit you and the dept in further collaboration etc...