Applying for PhD

U

I am currently doing my Masters in computer science and want to go for a PhD in computer science in the top 30 universities of USA. I have a GPA of 3.76 and a publication. But I have low GRE score of 1160. Please advise me if I have a good chance on getting in the top 30 schools or should I give the GRE again to get into the top 30 schools.

Any reply is appreciated.

G

Hi! A good GRE score is no doubt important, but it is ONE of the many criteria that go into selecting a grad student, SOP and LORs being very important too. If you think you have great LORs and have few publications during your Masters, I would advise you to go ahead. But if the answer is no, then it would be wise to propbably retake the GRE, especially if your Quant score is low. Hope this helps!!

U

Thanks a lot for ur opinion. It is of gr8 help to me. But if you don't mind can I know the univ you are enrolled at for the PhD program...?? the reason is I wanted to know what approach should I use to be considered for the admission? Do contacting professors the best way to be considered??

S

yes i think contacting the staff is a good idea for your chances. best have some clear idea in mind, they won't have time just for a chat.
it is after all the department which will decide to take you as a PhD student.
apart from your grades i believe your proposed research project is very important, and that it matches some of the staff's interests, so that there is someone there who could supervise you.