Applying for politics - what are my chances?

T

======= Date Modified 10 Jan 2011 02:17:47 =======
Hey all. I'm a final year undergrad at a mid-tier university, hoping to move up to the top 20 for a master's in international relations/global politics. I want some opinions on what my chances are - I'll list my main circumstances below:

+ Not applying for funding
+ Can write a good personal statement
+ Have two good academic referees
- Averaged a 2:2 so far (but I know I can end with a 2:1)
- Don't have work experience or extracurriculars
- Poor A-levels (but only some ask for grades)

From what I've heard about postgrads being treated as cash cows, I should be able to get some conditional offers, right?

W

Since you won't be competing for funding, I'd say your chances of getting onto a PhD course are pretty good. Mind you, if you get a 2.1 and come across a funded PhD that matches your interests, I'd say apply for that as well because you'll still be in with a reasonable chance.

T

======= Date Modified 10 Jan 2011 02:19:53 =======
I appreciate the advice, Walminskipeasucker, but I was going for an MA/MSc, not a PhD; you must have misunderstood. Sorry if my post was poorly worded. Does the fact that I'm not applying for funding boost my chances of getting a place on a master's programme?

W

Sorry, Technerd, I had things on my mind (trying to submit my work on time...) when I was reading your post. Your chances of getting onto a Masters at a high ranking university are good. There's usually very little funding for Masters, so I can see why you'd have to pay, but honestly even with a 2.2 you shouldn't have any problems.