Applying - question

M

There's a 4 year PhD programme I saw in November when I was browsing different universities, and about which I emailed the relevant department. They've just got back to me, inviting me to send a CV and referees' details as they're currently shortlisting. I have my eye on another supervisor at a different uni, although he hasn't got confirmed funding yet, so I'm wondering what to do.

This 4 year programme is in Liverpool, which isn't somewhere I'd normally have considered, but the department has a very good reputation, and the 4 year nature of it appeals as it would give me a greater training and also allow me to defer choice of supervisor and project until the end of the first year, when I know more about the department and what they do.

But, considering that it woulnd't be my first choice IF I got the other PhD I'm hoping for, and also that Liverpool isn't top of my list of places to go, is it worth applying?

R

hi
i would say it's worth an application. If nothing else, if you get an interview it'll be good experience. You can make a final decision if you are offered it, but it sounds like it has some really good positives, and it won't hurt to apply. You can always pull out if the other PhD comes through. GOod luck

R

If you weren't offered your preferred PhD, would you be happy to take up this opportunity if offered to you? If the answer is yes, then definitely go for it...afterall, you gotta be in it to win it. If, on the other hand you think that even as a last resort you would probably hang on and wait for the perfect PhD than accept, it's probably not worth your time and effort to put together a relevant CV and covering letter etc, get references together and all the other time consuming stuff involved with applications.

If you've got everything ready to send however, it's probably worth a shot...and who knows, you may get another lead from it.

T

I say go for it.. you have nothing to lose plus you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket just in case something goes tits up with your preferred studentship.

M

Well, I have already applied before - I got places last year. As such, I've already got my CCV pretty much up to date, and a covering letter too. I've been in touch with my referees as I worked in my uni dept after graduating, so everything is ok there. It's just a question of whether to apply or not. I'd say it's more the city that puts me off rather than the PhD details, although I'm not sure how well my own experience fits with the PhD.

J

I'm doing my PhD in Liverpool and its a really good city.

M

Hey Jen,

In one aspect, Liverpool is good as it's near home (Preston). I've always thought of, and seen it as, the poorer relation of Manchester, although my last couple of visits have been better...

J

I don't think thats true. Personally I am not keen on Manchester. I think that Liverpool has a lot to offer. Its a great place, the people are friendly and the university is good.

What field is the PhD in?

M

It's in molecular and cellular physiology in the Dept of Physiology. What are you studying?

J

I know someone who is doing a 4 year PhD in the physiology dept. Is it a Wellcome trust one? Thats what he is doing. Apparantly the money is good.

I'm in veterinary immunology but I also do some stuff in medical microbiology.

M

Yeah it's a Wellcome Trust one, although they also appear to offer MRC-finded 4 year PhDs, and I can't really see any discernible difference between them. I've heard that they're extremely competitive to get into, however, so I'm not holding out too much hope!

J

Yeah I think they are quite hard to get onto. My friend got a first and he is super clever. Good luck with it if you do decide to apply