Approaching Potential Supervisors

M

Hello,

I'm applying for pt English Lit/Creative Writing PhDs at the moment and am unsure how to approach potential supervisors. What do I say in my e-mails?

Should I just write something like:

'Dear Prof X, I am applying for program Y and will be researching topic B. I noticed that you have published papers on the topic of X/have a background in V. My topic is on the X and feel that you are the best fit. I would be grateful if you could let me know if you are taking on any graduate students this year and if so, would be grateful if you could consider supervising my project. Many thanks for your time, X'

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

A

Emm I woudn't tell somebody that I thought they were "the best fit". I also wouldn't ask them if they are taking on graduate students this year as if they say 'No' that's really the end of the discussion.

I would ask them if they would be interested in supervising you but to do that you will have to convey to them that you have the academic ability to complete. You are approaching them becuase you believe them to be an expert in their field. Therefore I think you need to briefly, (very briefly), let them know your qualifications and suitability for docotoral work.

The student-supervisor relationship is part of this wonderful PhD circle of life (sic) but I feel you need them more than they need you so flatter them. Also ensure you get the Dr/Prof title correct. Better call a Dr a Prof than the other way around!!

M

That's very helpful, thanks.