Are my grades good enough for a PhD in Creative Writing

L

Hi, I'm new to this site. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm considering applying for a PhD but I'm not sure about, a) whether my MA grades are good enough (64%, 60% 65%)
and, b) how to go about researching the field I'm interested in researching (if that makes sense).

The subject area is Creative Writing which is very competitive. There's a Russell Group uni near me so this would be my first choice. However, I really do wonder whether, given my grades, which were, incidentally, a result of serious extenuating circumstances, I would stand any chance of getting into my university of choice. I'm also unsure about how to even go about investigating what research is published in the area I'd like to build my thesis around.

Can anyone help?

M

You should be okay if you got a Merit or Distinction. Another deciding factor might be you dissertation grade (if you did one).

Funding might be difficult if your grades were average, though. If you're self funding, I don't think you should have any problems.

If you want to investigate what research is published in your thesis area, I'd look at JSTOR (you should still have access, hopefully) and Project Muse. Google Scholar, too, can be another useful resource.

L

Thanks for responding. I guess I was secretly hoping that a Merit isn't 'average'; particularly when it's a grade from a reputable and competitive university. But, hey ho, I was seeking some clarification on that aspect so thank you. The pass grade is set at 50% and the distinction 70%. I haven't received the grade of my dissertation yet but I've a feeling (because of the personal struggles and health problems of late) that it will be around about the same 60% +. Self-funding is an option, but, I'm hoping, perhaps not absolutely necessary if I can get some work published in the meantime. I might give my university of choice a ring and see what they say. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

M

Quote From literallyliterar:

Thanks for responding. I guess I was secretly hoping that a Merit isn't 'average'; particularly when it's a grade from a reputable and competitive university. But, hey ho, I was seeking some clarification on that aspect so thank you. The pass grade is set at 50% and the distinction 70%. I haven't received the grade of my dissertation yet but I've a feeling (because of the personal struggles and health problems of late) that it will be around about the same 60% +. Self-funding is an option, but, I'm hoping, perhaps not absolutely necessary if I can get some work published in the meantime. I might give my university of choice a ring and see what they say. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Glad I could help. Were your extenuating circumstances taken into account by the exam board? if they weren't, I'd talk to your personal tutor to see if your grades can be appealed against. Good luck with your applications, too.

A

Have you considered UEA, - they have a very strong creative writing reputation. Don't fret about your marks: I got an average of 79%+ (which just missed a Distinction at my uni), but still managed to land a fully funded studentship. Good luck.

L

Thanks for that. Did you do an Arts subject? UEA is THE best for Creative Writing so the application process it tough to say the least. Thanks again.

A

Quote From literallyliterar:

Thanks for that. Did you do an Arts subject? UEA is THE best for Creative Writing so the application process it tough to say the least. Thanks again.

Yup, Arts. Don't be intimidated by their reputation. I did a couple of applications simultaneously, one I felt I could " do", and one that was punching above my weight. Give it a go, nothing ventured etc.