Are you going to work in your PhD during the summer?

I can't help reading the title of this thread as if PhD is a kind of clothing. Like "Are you going to work in your pyjamas during the summer"

R

I'm getting married too this summer! Taking some time off to go to Eygpt for honeymoon - can't wait!

A

"Are you going to work in your pyjamas during the summer?"
The answer to that is yes on all fronts. Except on naked wednesdays and bikini days, obviously.

lol @ alicepalace

Y

I haven't taken a holiday since I started my PhD 6 months ago. Feel bad if I'm on holiday...

C

Neither have I. Well, I did take one day off but that was for a funeral....

C

Everybody should take a day off, afternoon off or have a holiday - six months is a long time to go without a bit of slack. If a monthly supervision goes well...I normally do nothing in the afternoon, jus to celebrate. Especially today since today is a Friday afterall. But that assumes my meeting will go well....

T

I'm going on holiday for a week from Monday

R

Not even for Christmas? That's crazy! I think it's important to take some holiday so you get the chance to re-charge and relax and are more productive when you get back!

J

Hello again Claudia! Where have you been?

(or have I not been reading enough threads?)

C

Nope you're right, I haven't been around much! I have stuff to do..

J

Well, good on you for doing that stuff. I have stuff to do but I seem to get distracted (mainly by this froum).

S

For the record, humanities and soc sci students are expected to work through the summer - we don't have any official holidays

On my contract, it says 35 working days per year. I've never claimed any time off officially.

N

Well I think my university entitles us officially to 6 or 7 weeks a year. But in my department nobody asks for them officially. In any case I find it a bit ridiculous to give you holiday if you are a student who is not perceiving any money for his work (as opposed to people with scholarships etc.).