Argh.. secondary analysis and data availability (quant)

A

After having spent quite some time on refining my research problem and questions, and collecting certain historical material needed for the first part, I have just had to realise that I've been terribly naive about the availability of quantitative micro data for the 2nd and 3rd part of my project.

I guess I just assumed that the major statistical bodies will have the material in question and be able to provide it for research, but it seems that for a rather big and important part of my study, the specific combination of variables needed is not available (microcensus), and the stuff that is available is most of the time horribly expensive.

I have a list of other bodies I'm going to contact, so I haven't lost hope yet to get something that comes close to what I need.. and I'm also thinking of a plan b in terms of modifying my research plan to accommodate this situation somehow, but if all fails it would mean that I would have to start from scratch, basically.

So now I was wondering if others here have experiences with the pitfalls ofsecondary analyses, and how you coped? Were you successful in locatingalternative data sources? Any words of advice?

I feel rather stupid now, that I didn't consider this possibility beforehand, but I was so busy refining what I want to know etc. that I completely neglected these practical aspects. Kicking myself for that now...:$

R

Hi Apple,

I think this is part of the learning process. We all know that we need to think carefully before starting a project, yet as this usually the first time that you do something like it, inevitably one forgets something, or something happens what one had not expected.

My data were mainly qualitative, as such I do not know the ins and outs of your area, but I think the key issue is how to be able to manage which the data you have got and to write in your thesis / publications that you recognised the missing issue.:-)

A

thanks for your reply, Rick.. I guess you're right, and that data management and acquisition area probably also part of the phd learning process, even if it's learning the hard way! I am just hoping it doesn't mean I have to come up with a completely new research question due to this situation, at least I decided to not lose all hope just yet.

Did you do a secondary analysis of your qualitative data? Did you have the data already before starting the project or did you have to locate it yourself?

Anyway, thanks for your comforting words, it helped already!

R

Hi Apple,

it was possible to use the data from my analysis, yet on reflection another method might have been more profound. However in the strengths and weaknesses part of my research I have explained these issues.:-)