Associate teaching position - what's one of them?

W

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does anyone know what an university associate teaching position is? What kind of money does it pay? I've tried looking it up on Google but I can't seem to find out anything.

======= Date Modified 18 Mar 2010 18:25:28 =======
Hi Wally, I'm an asscoiate lecturer and the drill is as follows: Did you ever study the ancient Roman army at school? Well, we are very much like foot soldiers: expendable; expected to live, against the odds, off meagre offerings; expected to march in difficult and treacherous conditions; and can be randomly decimated at a second's notice. Although, on second thoughts, I think foot soldiers were probably wuite well fed, so not entirely comparable after all.

As far as I know, it's another name for the temporary, termly teaching contracts universities operate - a step below fixed term contracts.

W

I get the impression, it's not the most stable kind of job. Cheers, Eska!

J

It depends - some universities employ PhD students as teaching assistants to supplement their funding or in some cases it is a way to gain some experiecne before trying to get a permanenet leacturing post (which in my cases worked out). The hourly rate is v good (around £40 per hour of teaching) but that covers you for prep and marking so in reality works out much less for the hours you put in.

I wish I got 40 quid an hour, I'm on 33.50, at all of three different places I teach for.