ATT:lets be kind to the international students

S

Oh that's how I did it because (insert long story) I had to - but the best way that most people plan it is to give birth just after submission (not necessarily before viva).

S

its tricky, because you know being a cultural girl my inlaws in zambia are starting to worry. they want a baby, I want a PhD.

The PhD is 4yrs long. I dont know why, my sup said that PhDs are now herding towards 4yrs to give students more time to write up.

Anyways, I am 27 now so will be 31 by the time I finish.So I thought second yr is a good time to tell my sup I am pregnant. Ofcourse I will not take too much time off the program. My husband will take time off work and then we see from there. (Got it all planned out!)

J

I hereby apologise to everyone on this thread. Perhaps I am too negative at the mo but it is so tough and all these nights alone in this room are not good for my mental health. Without excusing it, I've spent the last 60 nights working on this and having day job and unfortunately I know that I have to repeat the same to even complete the chapter I'm working on. This are difficult times.

S

This is definitley a topic we should discuss later - I know lots of people who have done this in different ways.

S

cool.

S

jouri that is tough going and very decent of you to post that. I get very negative too - which is why I first said that I understand the feelings badhaircut talked about. It's just so much tougher than I feel it needs to be and I am not immune to irritation when posters seem to expect an easy fix.

And before I totally bury myself alive on this thread - I am off to bed.

S

jouri

no hard feelings. My husband is a mental health nurse. feel free to express yourself

S

Good nite Smilodon

A

Sorry. Couldn't help it. Had to get my two pence worth.

My favourite part was the confident claim that "I won't take too much time off, the husband will'. Ha. the sprog just going to drop out is it and then you'll hop straight back into the lab?!?

Tickled me.

S

Adem - I took two years out when I had my daughter. But actually, I know several women who really did go straight back to the lab and some whose husbands looked after the baby.

S

Adem

I think so, it can be done if you have a supportive husband

S

and goodmorning to you all early birds

S

testing 1 2 3

S

Why cant i post my stuff.

S

trouble shooting