Attaching papers in Endnote X4

Recently, I've had to resave my Endnote library and move it to a new location, and now, for some reason, most of the paper attachments are broken and don't link to anything. I still have all the papers, but is there any way to remedy this more quickly than manually going through every entry and reattaching each paper separately?

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I think it may have something to do with how you copy the library i.e. whether you just copy and paste it, or whether you go into endnote and ask to make a copy???

Still haven;t worked it out though!

I think it might be because you changed the location of the library??

F

Yup, you need to have your folder ending in .data n the same place as your endnote library file. If they are not together then endnote can't link them together. Try to move the .data folder, failing that you might have to re-attach them manually.

C

Hi, I am not sure if this will solve the problem but it is still probably worth mentioning....

As you will know an endnote library has various folders and file attachments that go with it - one should be the same name as the name of your library with a '.Data' extension. Inside this are three more folders: pdf, trash and rdb. On my version of x4 the pdf files are stored in this pdf folder.

Having said that, I don't think copying and pasting these files to the pdf folder will restore the link. Each of the file attachments in your endnote library will have a unique address based on the location you originally stored them - though I mention it as it is probably the best place to save new pdfs so that links are maintained - and should stop the problem if you needed to move your library and associated files again.

The only way around it that I can think of would be to 'mimic' where your files were originally stored. Have a look at the broken links and perhaps replicate by placing your files in a folder of the same name and on the same drive as before so that endnote recognises them.

Hope all this makes sense...