Attire for conference (not presenting)?

Just wondering, does anyone 'suit up' when attending conferences (as an observer, not presenting)?
I'm going to my first one tomorrow and don't want to look out of place - equally I don't want to be uncomfortable in a suit!

Thinking of smart casual...

Thanks,
Rachel

======= Date Modified 08 Sep 2011 19:33:20 =======

Quote From Noctu:

Just wondering, does anyone 'suit up' when attending conferences (as an observer, not presenting)?
I'm going to my first one tomorrow and don't want to look out of place - equally I don't want to be uncomfortable in a suit!

Thinking of smart casual...

Thanks,
Rachel

Fairly smart casual should suffice, as I suited up for the first of mine and quickly gauged I'd overdone it. I note you're a woman so if you want to play safe include a skirt in the outfit, no shorter than knee-length, especially if it's a smaller event (what I've seen other women do) or a smart pair of trousers. After that, you can assess the situation yourself compare to the peers working in your area.

From a male perspective, for me it would be dress shirt and trousers, with a tie bunged in the pocket to whip on if everyone else turned up dressed to the nines.

You'll see a range of dress levels from full formal suit to people turning up in just T-shirt and Jeans (latter is not a good call, especially at a small event).

If you present, then you should suit up though (though established keynote speakers sometimes get away with it).

K

Hey Rachel! Smart-casual and comfortable should be fine. I've seen everything from nearly-naked to suited and booted at the ones I've been to, and you certainly don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons...although there was a very well-reknowned prof at a conference I went to in the US last year with bright pink hair, a very small dress and loads of tattoos, and I sort of admired her for standing out lol! I tend to go for tunic-style dress tops with a black cardigan and decent shoes whether I'm presenting or just observing. Hope you enjoy it! KB

R

Quote From keenbean:

Hey Rachel! Smart-casual and comfortable should be fine. I've seen everything from nearly-naked to suited and booted at the ones I've been to, and you certainly don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons...although there was a very well-reknowned prof at a conference I went to in the US last year with bright pink hair, a very small dress and loads of tattoos, and I sort of admired her for standing out lol! I tend to go for tunic-style dress tops with a black cardigan and decent shoes whether I'm presenting or just observing. Hope you enjoy it! KB

Hi Keenbean

By any chance is this Prof Welsh?

A

======= Date Modified 08 Sep 2011 17:27:50 =======
smart casual is fine. You'll see the whole gamut of attires from those who look like they've just hauled themselves out of bed, to people who get it just right to those who have tried too hard! Also depends on your discipline a bit as in mine it's nearly frowned upon to dress too smart. In my past job we used to have grooming checks :$ where you quite literally had to stand on a stool and endure being scrutinised from all angles. At least they don't do that in conferences!!

K

======= Date Modified 08 Sep 2011 20:13:29 =======

Quote From RLD1984:

Hi Keenbean

By any chance is this Prof Welsh?

Hey RLD, I'm actually not sure where she's from (UK based but can't remember where!), but it was a gerontology conference in the US. I just know that I saw her everywhere I turned! Still, I guess by the time you reach that level of academic awesome-ness you are entitled to dress how you want lol!

Best, KB

C

I vote for smart casual too!

To add to this (I've slightly edited my initial post as I typoed slightly), it would help if a brief remark on expected dress code was put in conference literature. Some conferences in the far east do specify dress codes (smart casual for the actual conference, jacket and tie for the conference dinner, etc.), to the point where at one conference in Singapore I was aware of they were handing out jackets and ties to male attendees to the conference dinner who needed or forgot them.

In the west the level of formality has decreased as time has gone on, though as I said this can vary depending on field and size of event.

C

Another vote for smart casual. And don't wear flip flops. I did at a massive (3000+) conference earlier this year, and I think I was the only one there not is shoes or trainers!

R

I just presented at a conference in button down shirt, black pants (not jeans), and Doc Martin's boots and I didn't stand out at all. +1 smart casual vote.

G

@Catalinbond - flip flops at a conference. are you a kiwi per chance? ha

Thanks everyone, just to let you know I went in a wool (thin sort of wool) sleeved dress, opaque tights and heels. Everyone else was in 'work wear' e.g. black trousers/nice skirt and smart top/shirt. Saw one lady in jeans and she did stick out a bit.

C

@jinandjazzz no not Kiwi - just uded to wearing flip flops to work :$ Meant to get some shoes at the airport, but didn't quite consider that heathrow would onlt have expensive shops. Gatwick has accessorise and the like!

Still think I looked smarter than most the guys who were in jeans and trainers!

======= Date Modified 12 Sep 2011 15:04:49 =======

Quote From Noctu:

Thanks everyone, just to let you know I went in a wool (thin sort of wool) sleeved dress, opaque tights and heels. Everyone else was in 'work wear' e.g. black trousers/nice skirt and smart top/shirt. Saw one lady in jeans and she did stick out a bit.

You went for a not over the top slightly formal? Probably sensible and from what others chose to wear, it sounds as though you played it right.

Quote From mackem_Beefy:

======= Date Modified 12 Sep 2011 15:04:49 =======
Quote From Noctu:

You went for a not over the top slightly formal? Probably sensible and from what others chose to wear, it sounds as though you played it right.

Thank you (up) Trying to find a picture of a similar dress but I'm having no luck LOL :-)