Avoiding Supervisor - anyone else?

S

it sounds like you have a very nice and concerned supervisor. he's really making an effort to pull you through. i hope my future supervisor will be like that! i think you should meet up with him in person, tell him about your situation and say that you really appreciate him as a supervisor. you're going to need someone like him if your situation drags on or gets worse.

T

I would just talk to your supervisor, I had a lot of family issues while I was doing my undergraduate degree and tried to muddle through but eventually told all to my supervisor and he was great and pleased that I was upfront with him. I work with lecturers and students now and I can guarantee that they can tell when someone is being genuine and you will feel much better just for letting him know.

E

Yes, I think I'll try to meet him before the week is out. At least I'll send a quick mail to let him know I'm on campus tomorrow/fri., so will stop by. I don't think I should have another day like today where I avoid things, as it will just get worse. Esp. as I'm supposed to be going to a seminar tomorrow.

Am just feeling like I cannot have one more thing go out of control, namely, the phd.

T

hmm, fist thing first: relax! there are millions of things going on everyday around you, so just focus on the most important things. I tend to find sometimes people behave strangely or over-react, I just give them some time to cool down first; if they keep on doing that, they may not be good acquaintances for you..