Baffled by the PhD process.

B

Hi Guys

My first post so bear with me if I'm firing questions at you. I'm just wrapping up my MA dissertation in Literature and the OU's response to PhD applications is basically 'there's not going to be much funding available next year'. Well that has me worried! I desperately want to start my PhD next year, I have consistently borderline distinction grades so am unsure whether I will manage it. On the plus side I 'tailored' my MA dissertation to meet the research areas of my local University. My question is...do I have any chance of being accepted without that elusive distinction?:-(

M

======= Date Modified 10 Sep 2009 20:07:19 =======
Hi, a borderline distinction or merit will usually get you entry into a PhD programme (obviously UG results will play a factor). The standards entry requirements for most PhDs are UG: First (alone) or UG 2.2/2.1 and Masters Distinction/Merit (together). An equally important matter is to get in touch with your local uni, approach potential supervisors, get yourself 'known' in the dept, and see if they can aid you in the process of funding. The fact you have tailored yourself to you local uni is a good move (and may mean you pip the post compared to other applicants).

Hi Bronny,

It sounds to me as if you will almost certainly have the grades to be accepted - although funding is an entirely diffrent matter. Even if you had a first at UG and a distinction at MA, you'd still struggle for that - literature is a very competitive field, and funding for humanities very scarce. However, I think, if you write the right proposal, and have a dynamism about what you are doing, that can sometimes win out over firsts/distinctions, providing you have good 2:1 and merit grades.

Is there any way you could look at self funding? It'd be a safety net option.

Good luck