Beginning to feel despondent

M

Well, it's now mid-April and I've not got a studentship sorted for next year - I'm beginning to feel like I might not get one now. I've got two applications pending, although I have a strong preference for one of those over the other. I have three friends doing PhDs, one of whom got hers in July, and the other two in September, but there seems to be less advertsied now that there were a few months ago... :(

Don't give up Matthew82. There is still time. Some departments even advertise during the summer for the next term.

Are you keeping an eye on guardian jobs and jobs.ac.uk sites, as well as this one? Also visit the Universities' vacancy pages. Some don't advertise anywhere else.

N

Well last year I saw several studentships advertised in the Sumer and early Autumn, they were for start in January though.

My impression was however (it was in jobs.ac.uk) that they were positions which had been advertised previously but no suitable candidate had been found, i.e. they were not "new" studentships.

However what I want to say is that there's still plenty of hope for you.

S

It's still only April and quite a number should be advertised before the autumn. Keep your head up because, as my supervisor said to me when I was applying last year, where there's a will there's a way!

A

You don't say if you have a Masters or not but if you're looking for studentships and don't manage one for this year you could always take a Masters course which would put you in a better position next year. Also, check out the research council websites to see which institutions/departments have been awarded funding then if they're suitable target your application to them.
Also, why does it matter if you're friends are doing one and you're not yet? Is that why you want to do one?

M

Arctiidae - I don't have a masters, although in my area, it appears that most PhD students don't have a masters between undergrad and PhD. The problem with a masters is the issue of money - they're not cheap (as I'm sure you know), and it's probably not something I'm going to need, so it woulnd't really be economical for me. As for the friends thing - I think I made it seem something it's not. Most of my friends (the vast majority) aren't studying any more, it's just that I have three friends who are. I'm usually more of the type to buck trends amongst friends, rather than follow them - it does make me feel, however, that it's something I really want to do, and I'm not getting any younger.

A

Don't despair Matthew, they'll be plenty of projects advertised yet, we have a studentship for next Oct and are yet to advertise (actually, it's a pharmacology field, you might be interested!)

M

Which uni, Ann? I'll keep an eye out!

A

Hi Matthew, I'll let you know when it's advertised (if that's ok with the Postgrad team?! )

M

Hehe. No problems Ann. Thanks! I guess I'll keep the old fingers crossed. And thanks everyone else for your words of encouragement.