Belle de Jour thread has gone?

C

Moderator? Reason?

S

The thread got out of hand and is now in Removed threads!
PGFT

M

Have a look in the 'Removed Threads' section. Reason given: 'got very out of hand'

C

So let it run its course? Its not the end of the world when postgraduates have different opinions on something.

Ho hum, back to complaining about our supervisors then.

P

P'haps the first time I'm surprised at our otherwise wonderful (truly) mods :-)

It was triggering a lot of debate, and much of it was actually bringing up useful issues...

Plus, some of the posts from some people were very richly written pieces of text (remembering one by Magictime in particular, but also one by Stressed, I think and one by Nadia was it using the latin..)

Anyway, respect your decision

C

Yes it was topical and relevant to this forum.

Magictime had just written something interesting too.

Phdbug it's hilarious that you would think Stressed's personal attacks were 'very richly pieces of text'!!!!!!!!! I'll take that as a sly dig.

S

I can't see that it got out of hand - a bit heated maybe, but to delete it is surely rather extreme! Debates go that way - people discuss, maybe even get annoyed, but then the debate completes and we're all friends again - are we not allowed to have differing opinions?

S

Don't start again Clever Clogs :-p they weren't 'personal attacks', I simply say things as I see them and although I'm sure you're a lovely person you were coming across as rather biggotted - I didn't say you WERE, just that that is how you were portraying yourself. I love a good debate as much as the next person. And I am actually rather nice :-) and prefer not to 'attack' anyone - yourself included :-x

C

Yes stressed I'm sure you are, especially with those 'richly written pieces of text' of yours :-x

One would think that a postgraduate discussion forum would recognize that postgraduates like to, well, discuss things.

P

CC, I dont think any of us will entertain you further.

and stop attacking people, stressed is a very thoughtful member of this forum and a great researcher.

Feel free to shadow fight of course. I as you have noticed, am no longer arguing with your points :-) even if you call it a host of Latin names..

C

Phdbug, let it go.

Acta est fabula plaudite!

======= Date Modified 17 Nov 2009 17:02:04 =======
I think this is my inner fashionista speaking - the shallow alter ego I just can't seem to leave behind: having just seen photos of the blogger in the Daily Mail (I didn't buy it, I just read it in the shop) I'm quite appalled by the slinky satin neglige number and bad, hilighted, non ironically reconstructed 80s shag hair do she's sporting. Oh! and the fact that she's sold her story to the Daily Wail. If you ask me she really doesn't look comfortable in those photographs. Well, if people will pay 300 quid for sex with this lady, there's hope for us all, I was expecting somebody far more glamorous. Sorry for being so shallow, I can't seem to help it, I'm a natural born fashion policewoman - I'm sure she's a very nice person - but crickey if you're going to appear in the national press, surely some effort, pleeeaaase. Or maybe it's the resident Daily Wail stylist...

The thread is back. We were trying to halt a potential flame war of insults, but having looked through the thread I think we acted too rashly. Please be nice to each other.

Andy

R

======= Date Modified 17 Nov 2009 18:23:56 =======

Quote From eska:

======= Date Modified 17 Nov 2009 17:02:04 =======
I think this is my inner fashionista speaking - the shallow alter ego I just can't seem to leave behind: having just seen photos of the blogger in the Daily Mail (I didn't buy it, I just read it in the shop) I'm quite appalled by the slinky satin neglige number and bad, hilighted, non ironically reconstructed 80s shag hair do she's sporting. Oh! and the fact that she's sold her story to the Daily Wail. If you ask me she really doesn't look comfortable in those photographs. Well, if people will pay 300 quid for sex with this lady, there's hope for us all, I was expecting somebody far more glamorous. Sorry for being so shallow, I can't seem to help it, I'm a natural born fashion policewoman - I'm sure she's a very nice person - but crickey if you're going to appear in the national press, surely some effort, pleeeaaase. Or maybe it's the resident Daily Wail stylist...

Ooh, that's a bit bitchy, Eska! The woman's getting enough criticism for her occupation and career choices, without her appearance being attacked as well. Everyone has different tastes in their hair, clothes or negligees, but there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I think it's a good thing, it doesn't matter if a look's dated to a fashion person or not, it's real life, not an avant garde student collection. Anyway, maybe it's her 'uniform' for work, might suit her clientele, who knows. Doesn't have to be straight out of the latest edition of Vogue.

Yeah, alright Ruby. I just find the whole thing really tacky and a bit fake, very, very marketed; the faux frenchification of it all (pardon the pun), and the theft and gross misuse of Bunuel's original title; it's just like she's trampling all over Catherine Deneuve's tailored suits, and one of the great film art works to boot, in order to make a buck. This media storm will make her millions and I just think she'll probably be on sleb get me out here before you know it.

I do have an inner and uncontrollable fashion police woman living in my brain, it comes from having dressed people for a living.