Beware of UK supervisors!!

M

Olivia, with all these trout references you must be truely procrastinating - unless you have an unhealthy obsession with searching the web for trout related items

O

O

That is to say, of all the things I am accused of in real life, procrastination is not one of them! Trouts are indeed a healthy interest. For instance, on a trout diet, you do not have to worry about gaining weight on a PhD, and with the variety of recipes out there, you can have a most varied and interesting diet.
And when people make requests for trout information, why, the least I can do is oblige! It would hardly be sporting to leave people dangling would it? ( no fly fishing puns intended)

M

May I ask why trout in particular?

R

Because of the constant references to 'mouth-breather' by girigoya, which turned to be an insult (apparently) and also a type of trout. I think.

R

Actually I have forgotten why was it supposed to be an insult again???

This thread cracks me up i'm glad it's back

O

The insult I think was something found in the "Urban Dictionary", but it was a poor source for trout recipes. There was much speculation about all of this resulting in the revelation of a hegemonic culinary conspiracy--which even involved the innocent trout.

R

From the 'Double-Tongued' dictionary...

mouth-breather: a stupid person; a moron, dolt, imbecile.

Editorial Note: The original definition of mouth-breather referred to a person that, due to medical problems (usually with the sinuses or nose), was forced to breath via the mouth. This leaves the jaw hanging open at most times, which has a tendency to make a person look dopey or spacey.

Eek no more breathing through the mouth then eh???

R

By the way - oh my god all the definitions in the Urban Dictionary are filthy!!! Bloody hell...

O

I think that the Urban Dictionary definition is offensive in many respects. The term mouth breather, perfectly fine when addressed to a trout, should be left in that context, and that alone. The Urban Dictionary had no good trout recipes that I could find.

The mouth breather trout is a lovely fish, a lovely pendant, a lovely breakfast or dinner, and should be no more and no less.

J

I'm sorry but you are being, to be polite, a complete fool.

You are quite correct in your statement that you dont need to publish to gain a PhD in the UK. However, I laugh at the idea that you seem to believe that such a qualification could get you a job in academia. In reality, post-docs in most places require a good record of publication and you know what *shock horror* over here we don't force people to do anything like that here because we have such a thing as personal responsibility for their careers!

If you can't handle that then fine, don't do a doctoral degree here.