Bibliographic software - help!

T

Hi all - sorry for the banal question but I am really stuck. I have been using Endnote for a year and a half and have loads of info on it. However, my laptop (which had Vista) on it died and I bought a new one which has Windows 7 and have now found out that it isn't compatible - aaargh! What can I do? Can I transfer the data to a different program? And if so which one? Thanks for any help.

T

I can't see this post properly - can anyone else? If not, I'll repost.

D

Can you access your endnote account from another compatible computer? If so you will probably be able to export all of the data and save it as a file for importing into another reference software. I use refworks with windows 7 without any issues.

T

Thanks - looks a bit pricey though - do you really have to renew it every year?

D

Refworks is supplied by my uni for the time I am a student, so I don't pay.  If endnote is what your uni supplies then I can see that this is a problem as the upgrade for endnote may not be imminent. There will be lots of other students in this same predicament.  I am sure it won't be long before they have a compatible software. Does your uni supply any other reference software that you could download for free?  I think in your case you either need to change your windows software (arghh!), use another compatible computer for endnote until an upgrade is available or switch to another referencing software. Either way sounds like a real pain.

H

Are you sure it isn't compatible with windows 7? I have windows 7 and have endnote installed, though I don't use it (I prefer Mendeley).

urgh I'm having a right nightmare with endnote and windows 7 and/or office 2010 - it just goes crazy and loads of error messages pop up :-(

Is there a way of exporting all my data to mendeley and it still understanding where I've cited etc without me having to put it all in again??

H

I've just started using Mendeley as we don't have any ref management software on the uni network/in my department BUT turns out the citation functions don't support Office 2010 64 bit version which is what the computer they've given me runs! Hmmm

H

Quote From hazyjane:

I've just started using Mendeley as we don't have any ref management software on the uni network/in my department BUT turns out the citation functions don't support Office 2010 64 bit version which is what the computer they've given me runs! Hmmm

There are in the process of releasing it - however it may be possible to run it as a 32 bit version? Or you could ask the department to re-install office 2010 as a 32 bit version. That's what I have done on my laptop.

H

Quote From sneaks:

urgh I'm having a right nightmare with endnote and windows 7 and/or office 2010 - it just goes crazy and loads of error messages pop up :-(

Is there a way of exporting all my data to mendeley and it still understanding where I've cited etc without me having to put it all in again??

I have no idea, but they have quite a good support team, it is probably worthwhile getting in touch with them. Btw I am so glad I made the decision not to use Endnote, crashes are such a waste of time and scare me!

yes its *ahem* probably not wise that I contact the endnote company.

I may have to just buy the most recent version. Hubs is about to submit and needs to do a final endnote check and the last thing we need is his whole document to go haywire.

I

*Bumping an old thread* I've started using Zotero (http://www.zotero.org/) and can really recommend it. It's also free (bonus) and open source, and the development community are great at responding to requests for tweaks etc.