Bibliography question

M

Hi guys and girls,

I am re-formating my bibliographical list and I have cited a Van Wienter, a Von Letar and a Der Maruapian in my thesis. In the bibliographical list do I place them under V, V and D respectively? Or this is not the case? Also, I have a Müller. Do I place Müller after a surname starting with Mu[...] or before a surname starting with Mu[...]? And a Sørensen. Does Sørensen go before or after a surname starting with So[...]? Thanking you.

T

the van, von and der should be lower case and should be ignored for alphabetical listing in a bibliography.

I'm not sure about surnames deviating from the usual English letters; I would just put Sørensen after the other surname beginning with SO.

M

Quote From TreeofLife:
the van, von and der should be lower case and should be ignored for alphabetical listing in a bibliography.

I'm not sure about surnames deviating from the usual English letters; I would just put Sørensen after the other surname beginning with SO.

Thanks mate, but I am even more confused now. Harvard system says one lists these surnames under V, V, D. If you search on google for 'harvard system van von der'; the pdf on the first result. No idea what is right and what is wrong any more.

D

My doctoral thesis used lower case van and ignored it. So van Strangelove under S. my references tried as best as possible to follow APA.

I also would treat letters with extra bits to come after standard letters.

What every you do, be consistent ;/)

The German ü is a contraction of ue, so Müller should be placed where Mueller would go.

The Danish/Norwegian ø should be treated as a letter that comes after z when sorting alphabetically, so after So[...].