Big deal to have abstract accepted to present?

P

Hi all,

Just wondering, how much of a big deal is it to present a paper at a conference in your first year of the PhD?

M

I wouldn't say it's a big deal at all. If you have the confidence and the material to present - then go for it.

I presented my research at a national-level conference the other week, and I am 21 months into my PhD.  It wasn't so much the prestige of the event that I wanted for my thesis or CV, but rather the chance of talking to people in my research field who were there. I received some really good feedback regarding my oral presentation, and have improved my protocols as a result of listening to the advice.  You can take many positives from a conference, and it should also improve your confidence quite a bit; it did for me.  You should try to do at least one during your PhD; the earlier the better really, as you will have time to act on anyone's suggestions. Bets of luck! GinGa x

i'm 18 months in and have done 2 national conferences and am presenting at an international conference later in the year. Its one of the key things you are supposed to do as a PhD student, so not a huge deal, although quite scary!

P

Thanks for the replies - it's a symposium in another country that I have been accepted to present at, 3-day long, and there will be speakers from various countries, im 3 months into my PhD - but yeah, I just submitted on the off-chance and have managed to get it!

I wondered basically as I told a couple of fellow PhD people and they were just like "oh right congrats" but in a rather its really not that much of an acheivement type manner......

D

I presented at my in my first year and got an invitation to publish in the sponsoring journal from it so I think its more of a big deal in terms of getting your ideas out there. Now in my third year my sups are not bothered about presenting at conferences just getting some publications under my belt...thanks to the conference I already have a potential acceptance in the pipeline!!!
Good luck go for it and most of all enjoy it!!!

S

Obviously you should be proud of yourself, no-one can take that away from you, but remember two things: firstly, other PhDers may not have been so lucky and the competitive nature of academia may mean that they are not as enthusiastic about it as you are. Secondly, as mentioned, you are expected to do this, so yes be proud but make sure you use the opportunity fully!(up)