Black mark for turning down a PhD offer?

A

Hi guys,

I have a huge dilemma. I have applied to 3 PhD's in different countries and theya re quite different in focus. but I like all 3 of them and would be happy with any but my preferences are especially for 1st adn 2nd PhD's and the 3rd one is slightly less mainly due to the city and country where I'd have to stay put for next 3 years. I have the interviews this month for all 3 of them. However, the interview date for my 3rd PhD application is the earliest followed by 2nd and 1st application. So, the likelihood is that I get notified the results of the 3rd PhD by next week. By then, Im not sure if I even would have got interviewed for the 2nd and 1st.

So, have decided that for whichever I get accepted first I will take it. Since they're funded and very competitive I wont normally deny any of them.

But on the otherhand I am thinking what if I accept the 3rd PhD and in a week's time get accepted for the 2nd or 1st? Then should I ditch the 3rd PhD even though I would have accepted it a week ago? would this cause the University to Black mark me in anyway? what would be the consequences of it?

Well well...im a bit optimistic this year but i think i have a good chance in all 3 of them.

Thanks for helpin

AJ

,-)

A

HI

Good luck on your application. I was in a similar situation, where I got offered a post, but was more enthusiastic about another PhD. I waited for the second acceptance and then declined the first. Check by when you need to give a reply. Commonly you have a couple of weeks by when you should reply. And anyways you can always take back an acceptance. I do not know about the University black marking you. But I am pretty sure you are not the first or last student to have done this, and they look through numerous applications. It is not the ideal situations, but try and do whichever PhD you like most.

A

hey ailisec thanks a lot im relieved to see that im not the only one to consider this ;)