British Library User Tips

C

I'm off to use the British Library next week for an extensive 5 day source gathering mission. Any tip's on making the most of my time either in the BL specific, or source research in general?

Come on people, you know you want to help! *I'll give you a virtual equivalent to the Cadbury's mini egg's on my desk*. Promise.

J

I assume that if you have access, you've already been given the guidebook? My only addition to what's in the book is to double check that the resource you want is held in the St Pancras site; annoyingly, anything marked as DX (if I remember rightly) is held in Yorkshire so you have to order it in advance; useless if you only have a few days (happened to me once).

Other than that: go to the British Museum while you're in the area

Z

This probably wont help, but ive only been there once and had a dreadful time - the librarians were really unhelpful and i left in tears! You're definitely right to ask for advice - Im sure there's loads of advice that could be helpful - i think my mistake was wandering in like its any other library, which it really wasn't.

J

That's a pity Zelda, I've been there lots of times and only ever met one miserable git; the others were all friendly. I really like it there.

J

Oooh actually; one more bit of advice: check that you're going into the correct toilet. It's not at all clear on one of the doors (1st floor); I went into the bloke's bog by mistake and saw more of a male colleague than I wanted to see. Took a while to live that one down.

P

I love the BL.

It has helped heeps in collecting articles. Anything that is marked with numbers and DSC is not onsite and takes a few days to be delivered (I think!). Also, it helps if you look on the catalogue to collect all the classmarks you want then either order them when you get there, or collect those slips to order any offsite stuff. Another issue is that you will be restricted on how many articles you place on order. Something like 10-12?! if you order stuff which is onsite; ie will be at the readers room reception in 90 mins, 2hrs, 4 hrs etc. You can order loads of stuff (without restriction) using reference request slips. It mayb an idea to visit Senate House as well if your collecting stuff. Senate House has open access to the majority of journals so you wont have to go through the process of ordering stuff. I hope this is of help to you.

P

I tend to collect all of the classmarks etc the day before so it saves some time!

Im usually in the science reading room-and the guy with the big beard is very helpful(to me anyway!). I know what you guys mean though, there is some really grumpy gits in there! Also, they charge loads for the photocopying which can be very expensive.

C

Thanks for the useful advice folks!

I sent off for registration by post but have heard no reply so plan to spend the monday sorting that outand then research the rest of the week. I know some of the things I want already...

C

Cadbury Mini Eggs all round!

P

I found the registration process to be soooo annoying-ie having to provide evidence from banks, universities, your course etc etc. Oh well-I guess it comes with the territory! I'll probably be there collecting articles next week to! Bringing a laptop is usually a good idea to, if you've got one. My handwritting is terrible-so by typing up my notes it saves some time.

Hope you have fun!

P

mmmmm yummy creame eggs!

C

I've moved house last week, so I have to be naughty and use my old address because the utilities haven't arrive yet!

J

I didn't have to provide any evidence...just fill in a form asking why I wanted to use the library. That was it. Ten minute job.

J

Mind you I applied for a personal user pass, not a student one, maybe that's the difference.

C

Oh! That sounds consdierably more streamlined than I had anticipated. I even went to the extent of getting my supervisor to write a reference on headed paper and stuff.

Oh well. Live and learn.