BSc, MSc, PhD & Postdoc at the same uni- is this a really bad idea?

K

Hi guys! As you can probably gather from the title, I have completed my BSc, MSc, and now my PhD at the same university. The main reason for this is that I really like where I live and am very happy here, the department are fantastic and have been extremely supportive (especially through my periods of ill-health due to bipolar disorder) and my supervisors are world class and great to work with. I really cannot think of anywhere else I would rather be and anyone who would be more suited to supervise my work.

Now, my PhD supervisor is talking to me about applying for funding for me to do a post-doc here. I am thrilled that they are very keen to keep me on, and my supervisor has a very good track record with obtaining funding. I would be delighted to stay if we could get the funding, especially given how hard it is to get a postdoc right now. The subject would be perfect for me too.

So how bad is it to do this? I know from previous threads that a lot of people think it's bad to even do two or three degrees at the same uni, let alone all three and a postdoc, yet there doesn't actually seem to be any evidence either way about how it would affect a future career. I am not opposed to moving elsewhere to develop my career at some point, but I genuinely believe that at the moment I am in the best place for me in terms of the work I want to do and the people that I would like to learn from. If the situation was so perfect, would you stay on, or would you really seek to move elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, KB

S

Hey KB, unis do like people who have worked at other institutions and have a wider experience than you can get from just one uni. At mine, postdocs have to come from other unis - people who've done their PhD at my uni are ineligible to apply. Having said that tho, if your supervisor can get funding for you, go for it! Stay! If things work out, excellent! If I were you, I'd never leave! Or I would, eventually, when other opportunities presented themselves. Sounds like you're onto a good thing.

B

Congrats Keenbean - you have what was needed on the roads a few weeks ago - TRUE GRIT!

I don't think that your supervisor would have offered you the post if he/she did not think you were able for the job. It is a pile of cr&p and pure snobbiness this notion that you have to travel to be a good researcher ... ok, it helps to broaden the mind but essentially it is down to ability. Publications and actual work is where you will build up your rep. That has been recognised in you so kudos (up). Besides, is not having a good working environment key to a happy worker? Tick that box says you!

If the notion of travel comes up later in your mind, deal with it then. You are going to have to look at that in a few years time again, so maybe after proving your ability in this post you can go (with supportive people and a working framework which you will be able to demand in your next post e.g. if you have difficulties in this post, I am sure your colleagues will help and that will stand to you).

Read your post again - you have answered all these questions already. Now sign that contract and book that long overdue holiday

T

I all heartedly agree with Bonzo.

Although I have not yet finished my PhD I have significant industry experience and two degrees for the university I am currently employed at as a Lecturer. I think accepting this contract is an excellent move, it will allow you to develop your experience and increase your publications. Both of which are the key to success in the employment market, the fact its all at one university does not make any difference. Many of my, more research orientated colleagues have been in your position in the past, the fact that several completed all their degrees and post doc' s at the same institution has not acted as any form of barrier. My Dean has always indicated that when interviewing he wants recent experience and recent publications, if you have this the whys and wherefores of how you developed your knowledge and gained your degrees is insignificant.

Sign the contract, its an excellent opportunity and don't worry about the rest. Good luck with it all. (up)

P.S. Just a final thought on the Universities who will not employ their own doctoral students. These organisations, are in my opinion, being very short sighted. They are investing time and possibly money developing a researcher who would be publishing and therefore making a contribution to the RAE / RAF for the centre. Then releasing the investment and the developing research profile to their competitors within the market place.

K

Hi guys!

Thanks so much for your replies. Just to make it clear- we haven't actually applied for funding yet, so nothing is settled by any means. But my supervisor and I are working on a proposal for a post-doc, and she is usually very successful with funding, so I need to think about my commitment to the university now, rather than later, in the hope that we might be successful.

You have really just backed up what I was already thinking...I would probably be crazy to move if I can stay here. I work within a fantastic team in the department, and so many of my pals have supervisors they hate, departments that are unsupportive, subjects they're not that interested in etc. I seem to have it all on my doorstep so would be very reluctant to leave it behind, and I know that I can learn so much more yet from the people I work with. Yet a lot of people still say to me that I shouldn't stay here post-PhD as it will 'look bad' on m,y CV (not staff- usually PhD students who don't like where they are, or who have had to move for a post-doc). I asked my supervisor whether she thought it would harm my career to stay in the same place (okay, so she's hardly impartial!!), and she said that I was best to spend my early career within a well-reknowned team building up my research skills and my reputation through publications and networking etc, before moving on to become a more independent researcher elsewhere.

I think that you are probably right- researchers seem to be judged mainly on their actual research, publications and conference presentations etc. My current supervisor is very supportive with respect to these things and encourages me to publish and present my work etc, which is great and I hope it will stand me in good stead in the future. I guess I will keep plodding on the post-doc planning- thanks for putting my mind at rest with this one guys!

Best, KB

N

Just wanted to say that I agree with you, I would stay, you clearly love it there and have been able to make links outside of the university through conferences and publishing, so its not like you are in an insular bubble there. I also think that your supervisor is thinking of you, if she thought it was in your interests to move elsewhere for a post-doc position she would be helping you to search for another position rather than spending her time on securing funding for you to stay. I know you've said that others have had trouble with her but it sounds like you get on really well with her and have a good working relationship - I'd make the most of that.

P

KB

Just to say I did my MSc and PhD in the same place, same sup. Now, there's been post doc discussions and we've agreed to apply for funding for post docs from two or three sources, including conventional post-docs as well as research grants, with sup as mentor. I an trying to submit by Easter 2011 (under 3 yrs) for deadlines are such.

So it's araher similar situation (minus the BSc) and there's no other way I'd do it :) I think it's absolutely fine!

Good luck with your funding apps and many congrats for keeping them happy with you for so long!

You have your whole career to move around and try multiple things!

my other half did BSc, MSc, PhD all at the same uni and I am doing MSc, RA position, PhD at the same uni. TBH I am wishing/hoping I get a post doc at the same uni, cos I love the atmosphere. I think in the 'current economic climate' I would take what you are offered! and if you enjoy it then so what!? The worst that can happen is that in a few years you get asked about it in a job interview and then you can say that you stayed on because you enjoyed it so much, developed good relationships etc etc (making sure the answer fits with their competencies lol)

go for it!