Can a PhD fail with a first author high impact journal paper?

K

======= Date Modified 25 Aug 2012 14:54:31 =======
======= Date Modified 25 Aug 2012 10:22:06 =======
I am a Engineering PhD student, looking to submit my thesis in two months time. I managed a first author paper out in a high impact journal and looking forward to one more. Having said that, my project did not turn out to be a very promising one and although I tried to break away from the trend of the project, I was held back to keep the story 'coherent'. At the end, I was told to take an extension to write my thesis, as I was fighting my way despite ill-health. But one important experiment I was promised (which I cannot pull off without my lab-based supervisor) has not been allowed because 'my supervisor thinks the funds are a lot at stake'. I am at the moment trying to get a similar project done by forging a collaboration with a friend in another university.

Also I must extend that because I could not be offered a similar project, I was once asked to submit for an MPhil, which was saved because I won a departmental research award. However, it might sound I am panicking for no reason. The reality is I feel the volume of work is not thick enough in the thesis, although my supervisors (of some international repute) say it is enough and a good thesis and good viva will pull it through. After reading so many blogs on here, my concern is, should I believe it?

Has anyone heard of people noted down for a MPhil even after producing one high impact journal publication? Need to hear from you friends?
:-(

R

Has anyone been in the same situation as Korinth?

K

Thanks reenie, for opening the ball on the conversation.

K

Its funny no one seem to reply to my post...probably thinking I am worrying too much?

Maybe no replies means nobody has ever heard of it happening? I know I haven't, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

To get a PhD you need to show that you are making an original contribution to knowledge, that your work is substantial enough to be called PhD level, and that your work is of a publishable standard. Having a publication obviously helps with that last point, and suggests you're on the right track. But it doesn't say anything about the original contribution, or the substantial nature of the work, or even things like how coherent the thesis is overall. So - I'd say a publication helps, and suggests you're doing something right, but overall it doesn't guarantee anything!

K

Thanks for the explicit reply. Hope I dont make the unheard of discovery. Can the supervisors make the difference being well-known in the field?

S

I haven't heard of anything similar happening either. I'm not in Engineering but in my field, who your supervisors are do not make a difference on the outcome of your phd. I have been encouraged to publish as apparently this would help but I have never been told it would guarantee a phd.

I'm sorry I can't really help. The only suggestion I have is for you to do the best you can. You've come this far already which is an achievement in itself so you may as well go for a phd.

Good luck!