can anybody suggest a dutch dictionary?

C

I've come across some Dutch primary and secondary material which will be quite useful to my thesis - can anybody suggest a Dutch dictionary? I can't speak dutch, but will only need a knowledge to transcribe picture/plate names and understand bibliographies.

Can anybody suggest a good Dutch dictionary - Amazon seems to have hundreds on it!!!

The primary material is 18th century, and the schlarship 20th century: I'm guessing this falls under modern Dutch?

G

Doesn't google offer a free basic transaltion service. Can't say how good it is though

C

True say golfpro. The net does offer a lot of such but their accuracy and authenticity cannot be vouched for. I guess a dictionary might be in order.

J

I think as long as you get a decent sized dictionary, there's probably not a lot to choose between them. Can't remember the author of the one I use; I'll check tonight. Or there may be a Dutch member of staff who can translate for you if you send a faculty email?

C

I could probably 'get by' with a online dictionary but some of the teanslations aren't very sounding! I guess I'll look for a dictionary of a substantial size...

Thanks for your suggestions...

R

Hi Chris,

Dictionary = woordenboek

the great "Van Dale" would normally be considered the gold standard, but may be a bit too extensive for what you need. And is expensive!

At secondary school we used "Prisma woordenboeken" which I suppose are relatively basic yet not expensive.

I remember now that we also used some black dictionaries, yet unfortunately cannot remember the name, apologies regarding that.

O

I am not sure for Dutch but I always go for the big names, Oxford for English-foreign language and Langenscheid for German-xy language. I am not sure wheher you were German or based in Germany? Or do I muddle something up? Nevermind if you want to get translations into English I would go for Oxford as they are the "approved" ones.

R

Hi Oz,

do you feel Langenscheid is good? I not so sure. Oxford obviously always a good choice as is PONS.

O

I meant DUDEN... oh well, see in the other thread I really need a brain cell from someone!!!!

C

Hmm, I've found an amazon copy of Prisma's woordenboeken for £10.94 so may well go with that. At 558 pages it seems pretty comphrehensive. Thank you!

I've managed to find an english translation of the largest source - but the smaller stuff needs working through. At least it is not a major case study (just an aside) so my 'translations' won't be critiqued!