can anyone recommend a good research/methodology book

M

I am looking for a good indepth book that will help me formulate ideas for a methodology in social sciences or humanities area ?

O

do you want qual or quant methods? for qual--sage handbook of qualitative research, good book--if you want other good ones, try the Guide to Good Research, by Denscombe, and another good qual book is by Creswell, but the name of the title escapes me. I really liked creswell's clear explanations.

V

I find Stoker and Marsh; 'theory and methods in political science' quite useful. Although its politics related it does cover most relevant issues in general social science research as well.

O

the sage book has a good set of info on research paradigms, which I found a helpful starting point on methods, as it helps you understand how your own point of view can influence what method you choose, and the goals, outcomes, of each kind of paradigm. I found it extremely useful to locate myself and method within a paradigm, and then to understand in a systematic way the other kinds of paradigms out there. They have some easily digestible tables that make this all very understandable.

M

Hey Olivia, I got that sage book and it's really useful for qualitative methods so I would like to say thanks for the suggestion! Although it was a monster hardback to carry home after a long day

O

Hey Mokey I am glad that works for you. Yes, its a monster--you could prop up the side of a falling down house with it. There is also a paperback out by Sage that is Strategies of Qualitative Inquiry, which is similiar but not as comprehensive.

Would you believe I asked for ( and got) the large Sage book as a Christmas present??!

M

I don't blame you, I am asking everyone for PhD related books for my birthday because I can't afford to buy them! Unfortunatley the list just gets longer!
Can't wait to have to take that book back to the library.... NOT!

O

Mine flew across the Atlantic with me in my handluggage!!!! I was afraid if I packed it it would make my luggage overweight!

N

if in business, I suggest business research methods by Hussey and Hussey.