Can I finish my PhD study within 4 years at UCL?

K

======= Date Modified 28 44 2009 10:44:52 =======
======= Date Modified 28 12 2009 10:12:11 =======
Hi

My research subject is about regional development.
At the moment, I have got an MPhil/PhD offer from Southampton and Exeter University.

But my colleauges advised me to apply to schools in London. So, I have applied to MSc Globalisation at UCL. Why MSc? Because some professors at UCL and LSE told me that starting from MSc, not MPhil, would be most helpful to my future PhD research. However, I should finish my PhD study including MPhil or MSc within 4 years because of Ministry's personnel policy. I have two questions about MSc/PhD at UCL.

(1) At the end of my MSc, Can I transferred to 1st year of PhD without getting MSc degree?
Since my Ministry allows me to receive only one degree(MSc, MA or PhD), I should not complete MSc. It sounds strange but I have to comply with the regulation.

(2) If I were upgraded to PhD at the end of MSc, could it be possible to complete my PhD within 3 years?
This is a silly question. I know that everything is up to me. I'd just like to know usual case and get some advice.

Background : age 35, 9 years work experience as a civil servant, BA of Public Administration

P

The MSc's offered by UCL do not allow direct transferral onto a PhD programme. You'd have to reapply for the MPhil/PhD, be upgraded ultimately to the PhD without receiving an MPhil... but you'd come out with an MSc and an PhD. Moreover, it would only give you three years to do the PhD and I think most people expect to go over...

P

The MSc's offered by UCL do not allow direct transferral onto a PhD programme. You'd have to reapply for the MPhil/PhD, be upgraded ultimately to the PhD without receiving an MPhil... but you'd come out with an MSc and an PhD. Moreover, it would only give you three years to do the PhD and I think most people expect to go over...