Can't read or write

J

I had a really productive two hours this morning, but since then I have done nothing. I've tried doing a bit of writting but only managed one word before I got stuck I can't seem to concentrate on any reading either. Whenever I have a period of time like this I start worrying that if I don't do something I will never finish in time. Any tips on how to get my concentration back would be great!

E

Hi JA,
that's a familiar feeling! At times I really hate all this academic lark...But, some things I've found helpful - for me a central problem is feeling that I don't write 'good enough' text - so at problem times I give myself freedom to write poor text, just write down things I know already and want to say (rather than indepth text with hardcore scientific debate). I also think of my writing as drafts which I will rewrite in due time.

The same works with reading too - I try to 'fool myself' to browse through a book/article, or read it while eating, or even go to a pub to read (this can backfire though!) - often I end up getting inspired of it!
Also, I don't know what you are doing, but for me it helps to change from one topic to another - instead of lit review think of methodology etc

Well, there's my good ideas - and I should really try to get into work now myself... not doing too good today either :-/

J

try changing your working atmosphere. couldn't work from home at the moment. i find switching to libraries, coffee shops etc improves my concentration and makes it more fun... rewards after the end of a days work eg. movies, gyming etc are also useful.

R

Try doing some sport outdoors (regularly) as a break. It really helps.