Can't type...

J

So last night we were having dinner and I decided that I wanted some lemon on my fish. So I picked up the new knife I had jsut bought becuase I didn't have a decent (ie sharp) small knife. Instead of getting a chopping board out I decided that I could do it in my hand. Well that might have worked with the old knives which were not sharp. Knife goes through lemon and takes a huge chunk out of my left index finger.

Cue panic in house as children run away because there might be blood and they are squeamish, husband finds a small plaster which really isn't going to do the job and looks in our first aid kit which seemed to be all calpol and hangover cures, I forget all my first aid training (which I only redid mid September)...

Eventually I remembered that I still had a fieldwork first aid kit from work in the boot of my car so I send husband out to look for that. We opened the kit butthere was not much of any use in it (and it was all "use by 12/2005"). None of the bandages were the right type I had used in my training but I eventually find something that will do. We then had some hilarity while I try to explain to my husband how to do the bandage while holding my hand above my head (I did eventually remember that) and he tried to do it.

Phone call to parents to say we are bringing the kids round on our way to casualty (cue panic from mother and a reminder that they are going away at 6am this morning so if it will be v late we either have to stay at their house or come round at 5.30am to get the children)

But casualty was brilliant - in and out in 40 mins. Made the day of the nurse who cleaned and dressed the wound with 8 steristrips with my telling of the tale of how it happened and my reaction when she asked if I had any hobbies ("err why" ,"it might affect your quality of life" ,"eh"well you won't be able to play a musical instrument for a while and it might mean you can't do any craft activities for a few weeks" "I'm doing a PhD - does that count as a hobby")

Only problem now is throbbing finger and an inability to type (oh & the dressing needs to stay on and dry for at least a week so that means no cleaning for me and my husband will have to wash my hair in the bath!)

Lazy day for me I think

C

said with sarcasm - do you not have another 7 fingers and 2 thumbs with which to type ;-) i've heard people will do anything to get out of PhD-ing ..

said without sarcasm, and if it were me, reading and thinking is always an option, as it milking it for all its worth with anyone who is around. (up)

hope it gets better soon, sounds nasty .. 8 steristrips is quite a lot .. have a small gift (gift)

take care. Chuff

thimble?

Sounds nasty, hope it fixes itself soon :-)

S

Owwww that's nasty!!! Does 'chopped my finger off' class as extenuating circumstances? They'd probably tell you to use the voice recognition software lol. Hope it gets more comfortable soon, sounds very painful and 8 steristrips is some cut! x

J

Quote From sneaks:

thimble?

Sounds nasty, hope it fixes itself soon :-)

Good suggestion but the wound is about half way down my finger near to the first joint and the dressing (which already looks manky) makes my finger huge and means my finger is kept straight.

have you got a spare husband - you could type normally with your other fingers, and he could hover over you until you need the letter and then you shout it out e.g. S!!! and he quickly types that letter for you? :p

S

hi jepsonclough
hope your finger is better, oh my
don't touch water for a while
love satchi

J

Dressing got wet so have taken it off and it is much easier to type with but probably need to put another dressing on to keep it dry.

(Am still getting out of loading dishwasher etc though and reckon I can milk it for at least a week!)