Can you do a term/year abroad when studying for a PhD?

A

Hi all,

First of all sorry if this is in the wrong category, it's kind of a random question!

One of my big regrets at undergrad was not taking the opportunity to study abroad in America. I really would like to live there and experience it for a bit, and can't see any chance of it being possible except for studying over there.

I'm planning on doing a PhD and was wondering if there are any opportunities to go and study at a US college for a year or a term as part of a PhD course? I've looked online but can't really find many answers.

One slight snag is I want to do a PhD in history, focusing on 20th century British social history lol, so it wouldn't really be relevant to my research to go to America, but still, is it possible?

T

Yes it is. There are probably a number of possibilities. I know of two. One is that fieldwork needs to be done in another country. By the sounds of it you wouldn't meet that criteria. Another is that you want work with a professor on something to do with your PhD and you can make a case about why it is good to do this. These are both options associated with research council funding. For self funding students I really don't know - I imagine it might be easier if you are willing to pay for all the extra expenses. The main thing (for both these options) is to come up with a credible reason for why you should want/need to spend part of the time in an American university.

Another option could be to apply to study there full time. Or maybe you can look into exchange programmes.