Career advice on writing/editing

L

Hi, I'm a 3rd year phd student in microbiology. I'm hoping to hand my thesis in by early next year, so I'm starting to think about jobs now....I'm really interested in getting into editing or writing, particularly for a scientific journal. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Do you have any advice to offer about how to get into this field of work or who to approach for jobs and/or advice?

L

bump!!
any help please??!!!
thanks

D

Mmmmm well can't help much but I am a first year PhD Student and my sup has already asked if I wanted to do any reviewing for the journal they edit so I guess that its all about networking and getting recommendations. I'd start by compiling a list of publications you would like to be involved in and find out if any of these have links to your sup/dept/uni and identifying potential gatekeepers who can give you an introduction. If there are no connections I would start making them myself by introducing yourself and offering to review material etc. Basically I would keep knocking on doors till someone answered...or got out an injunction on me

J

Hi Liver,

I would suggest

a) entering writing competitions (try HERO http://www.hero.ac.uk/uk/information/frequently_asked_questions/can_i_contribute_an_article_to_the_hero_site.cfm) - they run a monthly essay competition for students, and also the Telegraph has an annual essay competition.

b) pestering editors of newspapers, magazines etc with proposals (100 words or thereabouts) for popular science articles. You'll have to be thick skinned; it took me a year before I got accepted, but once I did it made it much easier to approach other editors.

None of this will get you a job in the short term, but it builds up a portfolio of experience.

V

liver_bird, try the following sites and sign up for newsletters and news alerts. Best of luck

Nature--www.nature.com
New Scientist--www.newscientistjobs.com
Science journal--www.sciencemag.org

C

Can you do something for a local newspaper or your student newspaper?
You could also approach the PR department at your university, the people who send out newsletters and advertise the university.
As I understand it most jobs are around London which put me off, well working for journals like Nature etc.
I'm looking into medical writing now, see the EMWA website for info, and search for medical writing blogs.
I got advice about networking from my careers service. I've visited people that work in the area for information -"shadowing."
There is a website for the association of British Science writers with info too if its journalism you're more interested in. Follow technical writer links on the prospects website.