Chances of funding

P

Hi
I am a EU student, what are the chances of getting full funding (fees and stipend) for a PhD?
I am starting to apply for some projects but I still have no response.
Is this normal? How long do they take to respond? Anything like "thank you for your application, bla bla"? would do.

N

Olá Paula,

It seems we're on the same boat! I'm also an EU student and I haven't found many opportunities of full studentships. I'm in the Humanities, where most projects are supported by the AHRC, and they state that EU students are only entitled to a "fees-only" award. In one of the projects I found, I e-mailed the supervisor to confirm if I could receive a full studentship and she answered me that if they really didn't find any qualified candidate from the UK, the AHRC *might* consider paying a maintenance grant to the successful EU student. However this project was in a quite rare, interdisciplinary fields and some of the requirements were very specific, so maybe they were afraid that no British candidate would meet all the requirements (BTW at the end I didn't apply for this project).

I don't know how the other Research Councils work, i.e. if they can fund EU students or not.
(200 words limit...)

N

Another option is to look for studentships offered by the universities or departments themselves. Check the Funding section of the university's webpage or e-mail the department to find about studentships, requirements, deadlines... This can be a though job as there's not a standard like for Research Council grants, and you'll find studentships for UK/EU/overseas students only, studentships for specific fields of research, etc. As an EU student I have received a studentship from my own department to start my PhD with them so yes, it's feasible.
You could also try to find funding in your home country, for example from local charities or foundations (again you'll have to do some research to find out requirements, deadlines, areas of interest... ). Some British charities also offer studentships, for example there's the British Federation of Women Graduates (yes it is for women only).

N

(last part... hopefully)
This is what I found for the Humanities, hopefully in science fields there are more opportunities (Marie Curie Research Programme or something like that?). Anyway I wish you luck!

P

Obrigado!

I'm sending e-mails to the university departments asking for my chances, I'm optimistic. I'm aiming to start my PhD until January or so. I think I can manage a solution until there.
I am in the chemistry field so maybe it will be more feasible.
I really hope so.