chances of getting funding (me as a non-UK EU student vs UK students)

T

======= Date Modified 28 44 2009 10:44:31 =======
hey all!

when i first started on this forum i still had no clue about the UK PhD system :) by now i've done my homework and i know some more about it, so i got some more/new questions... this time about my chances of receiving a scholarship/studentship (is that the same thing, by the way?!) for a PhD by research at a british university.

when i'm done with my study i will be in a totally different starting position to standard british students (starting from nationality), and when both of us apply for the same scholarships, i don't really know how competitive my qualifications are, i.e. how big my chances are of getting a scholarship. i was hoping you guys could give me some opinions about my chances, since you know the "british standard student" best, and can compare me to the standard easier than i can.

so, here it goes:
- german nationality
- studied and lived in the netherlands
- study: molecular life sciences
- degrees: bachelor of science (3 years), and master of science (2 years)
- grade: 1st class master of science (so far i'm above 80%, but if i get very unlucky in the coming months i will probably still end up with a good 2:1 though)
- practical experience: 3 internships, all during my study time. 1 small one (2 months), 2 big ones (~7 months each) at different research departments (genetics, immunology, virology)
- international experience: study abroad (netherlands), and internship in australia (that's where i'm sitting right now lol)
- additional qualifications: attended courses to be able to work with radionuclides and lab animals

i was also a student assistant for a 2nd year bachelor subject for about a month, helping the "kids" with their exercises (SPSS and matlab)

eeeeehm .... think that's about it...

so, my question is: what do you guys think?! is it possible that i might get a (university) scholarship and/or research council studentship when taking on british students??

any comments are welcomed and much appreciated :)

greets,
tydra