Changing from full time to part time in final year

A

Hi,

I posted recently about feeling let down by my supervisor etc. for a number of reasons. I had a meeting recently with him where he expressed concern about my progress (lack of data), which is largely due to health problems that I've had since the beginning of my PhD. I'm due to change medication soon but am concerned that if it takes a while to adjust and to start to feel better again, I might be in serious danger of failing. I'll be going into my final year of funding in about 5months' time, and was wondering whether changing to part time would be a big problem or not? I'm funded by a charity so would need to find out how my funding would be affected, but I didn't want to express this concern with my supervisor until I knew all the details etc. I'm not even sure if going part time would be an option for the project as it's lab based and the department probably wouldn't be very happy about the research taking longer to do.

I don't really want the PhD to be dragged out in this way, but I'm really worried about failing and it all being a waste of time. In addition, worrying and stress tends to exacerbate my health problem, so all of this is really getting me down at the moment. If anyone has any words of wisdom I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks! Xx

A

Dear Anxious PhD Girl

I'm sorry to hear your story. I really think you should get extra support. There are so many services at your disposal at University - have you sought support from them all? Counselling? Your GP? Equalities Service? Students' Union? Careers? Have you had a break recently - perhaps you should consider time off to feel a bit better? One of my favourite blog posts is : http://annatatton.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/top-ten-tips-to-diffuse-phd-panic.html to help tackle those negative feelings. The students' union is the best place to go for confidential help about going part time - they've really helped me - think it depends on a range of things, not least support from your supervisor. Your number one priority should be your health - without that you can't do anything so do everything you can to get back on the straight and narrow mentally. Have you tried: hypnotherapy? Getting a mentor? Getting a coach? Therapy? Psychiatry? Psychology? MIND? Or if this list doesn't float your boat then write one that does and tick things off - that will give you a sense of achievement.

A

Hi anon007,

Thank you for taking the time to post, it's really nice to hear from other people with good advice. Since you were so nice, I'll be cheeky and elaborate... :) I suffer from a chronic physical illness which can also lead to bouts of feeling down (I guess depression but I've never been diagnosed). My supervisor is aware of the physical problems, which have slowed my work down and has a big impact on how well I can concentrate etc, but in recent weeks his sympathy seems to have disappeared. I guess this is due to lack of results on my part, but I've done my best to try to keep on track.

I really feel like I need a break, even just a week off, but instead he is now piling on the pressure to get results as soon as possible, so I don't feel like asking for time off is a possibility. On the other hand I don't want to burn myself out and I feel really stressed by this pressure at a time where I should be focussing on my health. Do you think that perhaps explaining this in an email and asking for a week or two off (which has been recommended by my doctor as well) that way would be a good move? I feel like a coward not explaining in person, but my last few conversations with him ended with him telling me to get a move on, etc. and it didn't seem like a good time to explain.

Thank you for the link you posted too. I've had a read and it looks really useful. I've tried counselling at the university in the past so I'll give them and the student's union a try for more advice. Apologies if this sounds very 'woe is me' - I really don't mean to, I just feel a bit stuck at the moment!

Thanks again for your help! Xx